Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-18 17:15:36

Anthony

How often should I clean and wrap

As a beginner, its rare that I can go more than 15-30 minutes playing without needing a rest - alot of times, I will play for 10 minutes, come back 10 minutes later, play for 10 and so on.

Should I be cleaning the Shakuhachi after every use?

Additionally, should I be storing in plastic and case after every use also.

I'm a bit anal, so I'm probrably being overly concerned, but I would like to hear from those who know smile

Thanks so much,

Anthony

#2 2006-08-18 23:44:42

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: How often should I clean and wrap

Hi Anthony,

Anthony wrote:

As a beginner, its rare that I can go more than 15-30 minutes playing without needing a rest - alot of times, I will play for 10 minutes, come back 10 minutes later, play for 10 and so on.

I think you just gave a lot of other beginners  here a complex. That's not normal. Consider yourself a natural in a world where there are not many naturals.

Should I be cleaning the Shakuhachi after every use?

Yes, it's important to use a moisture draw cloth, or as it's called in Japanese, a Tsuyutoshi. I see most players pulling the cord from the bottom. I do it the opposite way, pulling from the top. Just be carefull not to pull the cord against the utaguchi.

Additionally, should I be storing in plastic and case after every use also.

Most people do this religiously but it mostly depends on how humid your habitat is. For example, you wouldn't need to worry about it if you live in Hawaii but should definately if you live in Arizona.

I'm a bit anal, so I'm probrably being overly concerned, but I would like to hear from those who know smile

Thanks so much,

Anthony

I rarely store any of my flutes in plastic and I live in New York City. I guess I've been lucky. I've only had one flute crack on me. That was in the Former Yugoslavia in a hotel room with the air conditioner on.

Breath deeply, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2006-08-19 12:22:02

Anthony

Re: How often should I clean and wrap

Thanks for the reply Perry and the words of encouragement - much appreciated!

Anthony

Board footer