Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-16 11:26:12

Yuusui
Website

Traveling to Japan

I will be traveling to Japane in the spring. Primarily in Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. I am starting to put together a list of things to do and see. I already have the Jinashi Reference Library on the list. Does anyone have any other suggestions for shakuhachi sites to see? Stores. museums, second music shops?

http://yuusui.wordpress.com/

"Sit in zazen as if engaged in the fight for your very life!" Dogen

#2 2009-11-16 11:31:51

Lorka

Re: Traveling to Japan

Hey Yuusui,

I see from your blog you have been working on the piece, Kagome Kagome.  I've never heard of that one before.  Do you have a pdf of the notation?  If that is possible without ruffling feathers of course

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#3 2009-11-16 11:42:49

edosan
Edomologist

Yuusui wrote:

I will be traveling to Japane in the spring. Primarily in Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. I am starting to put together a list of things to do and see. I already have the Jinashi Reference Library on the list. Does anyone have any other suggestions for shakuhachi sites to see? Stores. museums, second music shops?

I'd suggest that you debrief Chikuzen (Michael Gould), who is in Japan with a pack of his shakuhachi students as I write this. Most of their time will be spent in the Kyoto area, but they'll be moving around a bit as well. Chikuzen lived there for 17 years, studying/playing shakuhachi, so he knows the ropes.

He should be back around the end of November, beginning of December. His email is: Michael[at]chikuzenstudios[dot]com, and he'd be happy to
give you some pointers, I'm sure.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2009-11-16 12:26:33

Yuusui
Website

I will check in with Chikuzen. Thanks for the info.

This is the version of Kagome kagome that I have been working from. This was provided elsewhere on the forum by No-sword

"There are lots of variations on the Kagome Kagome melody, but here's one version with no meri that stays in one register:

レー レ チ | レ レ レ . |
レ レレ レ ツツ | レ レツ ロー |
レ ツ レ ツ | レ レツ ロー |
レ レ レ チ | レ レ レ . |
レ ツツ レ ツツ | レ レツ ロー |
レレ レレ レ チ | レ ツ レー |

"

#5 2009-11-16 12:45:51

Lorka

Thanks Yuusi,

Will go grab the 1.8 and try it out

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#6 2009-11-18 17:58:12

mrosenlof

It's somewhat distantly shakuhachi related if at all, but maybe half hour, maybe an hour from Kyoto along the Tokaido line is the castle town of Hikone on the southern shore of like Biwa.  Unlike most castles in Japan, this one is mostly old construction, not a modern reconstruction.  For a possible shakuhachi connection, there is a museum at the castle which includes a lot of musical instruments owned by the occupants of the castle.  The surrounding garden is also nice.  This is definitely a smaller castle.  It's not Himeji by a long shot!  But it's still a nice side trip.  It was pretty quiet the early March weekday when I visited.  It was over six years ago, before I was playing shakuhachi, so I can't say for sure if any flutes were included in the instruments.

I guess while I'm thinking of castles, and less shakuhachi related...  Himeji is between Osaka and Hiroshima.  It's a spectacular castle, and is a Shinkansen stop, and very popular.

Mike Rosenlof

#7 2010-05-12 09:59:53

Yuusui
Website

Next week I am off to Japan! I have lessons lined up with Yodo Kurahashi and Preston Houser. I will also be meeting shakuhachi maker Taro Miura. I hoping to get one of his flutes.

#8 2010-05-13 20:10:34

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hey Yuusui, if you happen to be visiting Kyushu, please drop in on me.  I'm in Kumamoto.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#9 2010-05-13 22:50:09

Yuusui
Website

Sadly, I won't be making it to Kyushu. Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokkaichi and Ise are the main stopping points for the trip. Maybe my next trip!

Board footer