Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-05-19 07:09:27

purehappiness

An interesting morning

Well, this morning started out nice I was going to work and saw two beautiful deer standing by the side of the road. I slowed down and watched them and they watched me as I slowly drove past. Then on the way into work I saw a crow grab a little bird out of a tree and bring it to the tar and start ripping it to pieces. I scared it off but it came back and grabbed the bird as I was going in the door.Talk about going from one extereme to the other. Phew. What a way to start a day.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2010-05-19 08:01:14

radi0gnome
Website

Re: An interesting morning

Sometimes I wonder if the serene feeling I get from watching deer graze stems from a primordial subconscious thought that there is an abundant supply of food nearby...

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2010-05-19 08:18:52

purehappiness

I suppose there is the yin and yang in everything.

It was heart wrenching because once I scared the crow off I saw the little bird stand up and then fall down and just lay there. He was trying to stand up but couldn't.Then once I started leaving the crow finally came down from the building and grabbed the bird and flew off.The world can be so cruel sometimes.

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-05-19 08:35:41)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2010-05-19 09:30:39

edosan
Edomologist

purehappiness wrote:

I suppose there is the yin and yang in everything.

It was heart wrenching because once I scared the crow off I saw the little bird stand up and then fall down and just lay there. He was trying to stand up but couldn't.Then once I started leaving the crow finally came down from the building and grabbed the bird and flew off.The world can be so cruel sometimes.

It's pretty likely that the 'little bird' was already bent in some way, and that's why the crow went after it. Could just as easily see this as the
crow putting it out of it's misery.

Detachment...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-05-19 09:43:39

purehappiness

I saw it snatch it from the tree. I suppose it could have seen it was hurt. All the other birds were chirping at it as if to say leave him alone.sad

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-05-19 11:40:11)

Lieh-tzu

#6 2010-05-20 00:46:10

axolotl
Website

It's not cruelty...only people are cruel.  I suppose we could debate rape and murder and warfare in other primate species, but generally speaking, stuff that goes on in the natural world is just part of that big hakuna matata circle of life.

Not that I enjoy watching a bird get eaten by a crow either.  :\  This is one of those super difficult Buddhist lessons, to find the beauty in all things.  At least...all natural things. 

All the philosophical junk aside...sorry that your morning was made sadder by that sight.

#7 2010-05-20 06:18:48

purehappiness

Yes, it keeps things in balance. It is just not the best thing to see in the morning.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer