Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-18 08:33:13

Owloon
Website

raising the ro

Is it possible to raise the pitch of the ro without shortening the bamboo or drilling one of those little pitch holes (I don't know what they're called).   I was thinking about widening the bore toward the end, or just inside the bell (I do understand that that would change tone).  But maybe this would only help a little.  I don't want to lose any power on the ro, of course.

Thanks a bunch!

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

#2 2006-08-18 11:15:04

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: raising the ro

Kim,

Ro can be raised a little by widening the very end of the bore. It can be raised more by widening from the choke point (smallest diameter in the bore) to the end of the bore as well; however, this has a much more dramatic influence on tone. There are many things happening in that area of the bore. Use caution. Good luck!

Ken

#3 2006-08-22 10:22:01

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: raising the ro

Hi October Alley,

October Alley wrote:

Is it possible to raise the pitch of the ro without shortening the bamboo or drilling one of those little pitch holes (I don't know what they're called).   I was thinking about widening the bore toward the end, or just inside the bell (I do understand that that would change tone).  But maybe this would only help a little.  I don't want to lose any power on the ro, of course.

Thanks a bunch!

You can try my Spot Tuning Method. I use beads of different sizes to find the resonance spots that affect timbre, response, and pitch.  I would try the middle of the flute.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/tuningbeads.jpg
My entry was posted here:
http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=360

As we all know, anything done anywhere in the bore affects the entire flute in some way. Enjoy the journey smile

Good luck, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer