Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-09-16 16:17:36

Lorka

KYOREI notation

I have read here that the notation for Kyorei is available on the net.  If so I can't seem to find it.  Can someone  please post a link to it if they run across it.  Thanks. 

By the way, I was trying to play Kyorei today and then I accidentally started playing the song "us and them" by Pink Floyd (i think that's the name of the song, or maybe just the lyrics).  Parts of the Floyd song sound a lot like Kyorei, so much so that when I was playing Kyorei I started playing the Floyd song without even noticing.  Kinda weird. 

Matt

Last edited by Lorka (2007-09-16 16:19:11)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-09-16 17:15:49

-Prem

Re: KYOREI notation

Hello Lorka-
I think this is what you are referring to:
http://www.shakuhachi.cz/en_rec.html#kjorei
Scroll down, and it is appendix 1.
Enjoy!
-Prem

#3 2007-09-16 17:26:57

dstone
Website

Hi Matt.  That's funny about the Pink Floyd thing.  Us & Them is a beautiful, atmospheric piece and I can see why a few similar intervals along with its slow pacing could cross your wires.  Nice.

As for Kyorei, there has been a copy of Jin Nyodo's notation of Kyorei floating around the net, but it was never very clear to me if that was now in the public domain or otherwise legally or ethically shareable notation.  Obviously, the piece is old, but a derived work of it (like that page of notation) would, to my understanding, be protected by copyright law for 50 years after Jin Nyodo's death.  (i.e. still today)

Not trying to be a copyright cop or anything here, but it's worth thinking about.

As a related aside, I am planning to launch, soon, a dedicated, website for sharing what little public domain or Creative Commons shakuhachi notation there might be out there.  My hope is that such a place will encourage new, legitimate transcriptions of very old pieces or new ones.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-09-16 17:28:10)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-09-16 19:18:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

We have Dick Parry, who is the saxophonist for Pink Floyd and played on the original recording, playing in our horn section in Europe and Africa. Sometimes during soundcheck or in the dressing room he plays the sax part to warm up. That is a spooky experience!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2007-09-16 22:53:22

Harazda

Set the Controls for the Heart of Nissan.

Sorry; I couldn't help it.

#6 2007-09-17 08:30:19

Lorka

Thx all for the info.  By the way Darren, I think your idea about compiling a set of notations that are public domain is a fantastic plan, and you should carry through with it. 

Matt

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#7 2007-09-17 19:25:08

nomaD43

I have a question that may be slightly off topic (if so, I appologize), but since the copyright issue has come up...
If a person takes a copy of, say Jin Nyodo's, sheet music and uses that as a model for rewriting the music in either their own hand, or creates a digital version, would this be considered a copyright infringement? I am sure it would be a very gray area at best. Any idea? Tairaku or Darren?

#8 2007-09-17 19:45:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nomaD43 wrote:

I have a question that may be slightly off topic (if so, I appologize), but since the copyright issue has come up...
If a person takes a copy of, say Jin Nyodo's, sheet music and uses that as a model for rewriting the music in either their own hand, or creates a digital version, would this be considered a copyright infringement? I am sure it would be a very gray area at best. Any idea? Tairaku or Darren?

No that's OK, with the exception of Jin's compositions "Daiwagaku" and "Mujushin Kyoku". Those are probably in the public domain by now anyway but you'd have to check on that.

Jin Nyodo did not own the honkyoku (they are in the public domain) but he (or his heirs) own his calligraphy.

I have some original Jin calligraphy which is unpublished and I will probably have to look into this soon because I think it should be available.

#9 2007-12-02 09:57:57

Yooper

"Simple and artless."

#10 2007-12-30 14:13:55

Windom

Is the Tokuyama notation a different version of the song from Jin and the Youtube clips of Kyorei? I don't know much but it looks to me like Tokuyama starts in kan and doesn't go into otsu until column 8 whereas the clips (by Ritchie & Day and Seldin) are in otsu, and it is missing some phrasings (U-U meri and U-Ha, I think) unless I'm reading things wrong. Or is this all just an illustration of how honkyoku can't be learned from mere notation?

What's the meaning of the sign appearing in Tokuyama next to some Ha notes that looks like 不?

Last edited by Windom (2007-12-30 14:15:44)

#11 2007-12-30 14:19:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The melody for "Kyorei" is always more or less the same. But there are three variations.

1. All otsu
2. Starts in otsu and switches to kan
3. Starts in kan and switches to otsu

#12 2007-12-30 16:28:12

marek
Website

Hi,

4. starts in otsu switches to kan, finishes in otsu
5. I have also seen a version which combines Choshi and Kyorei together, making the kyorei little shorter. A rinzai zen monk who also studied myoan shakuhachi told me that they usually played the choshi-kyorei together. I should have the copy of the score somewhere. I think Vlastislav Matousek, my teacher, will hold a lecture on different versions of Kyorei in Sidney this year. He also plans to record cd of dif.versions of Kyorei.
6. Kyorei done by Watazumi

check www.shakuhachi.cz for a detailed analysis of one version of kyorei done by Vlastislav Matousek PhD

Regards,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#13 2007-12-30 18:35:30

Windom

Okay, thanks.

#14 2007-12-30 18:57:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

marek wrote:

Hi,

6. Kyorei done by Watazumi

He's recorded it a few times. One of them on 3.3 sounds like an improv.

#15 2010-06-02 17:09:47

jynx_474

one would think that you don't need notation to learn kyorei... verry easy song to master

#16 2010-06-02 17:36:37

radi0gnome
Website

jynx_474 wrote:

one would think that you don't need notation to learn kyorei... verry easy song to master

I found it difficult to memorize. Unlike Japanese folk songs or Western songs it seems that honkyoku lacks the musical rhymes to make them easier to remember. Most of the other types of songs you can listen to 10 to 20 times and probably be able to get most or all of the song. So, for a typical 2 minute song you could learn how the song goes within an hour. Due to the lack of musical rhymes I don't think I would be able to sing the Kyorie melody with just 10 or 20 listenings, and even if I could the 10 to 20 listenings would take 2 or 3 hours because of the duration of the song. I could probably have learned it from recordings without notation (if I recognized the "ou" note that I didn't really know) but it would've been such a chore that I probably would have written the notation by hand and then learned it from that.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2010-06-02 17:38:20)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer