Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-06-08 05:11:44

Danny
Website

Kan quietly, lip tension?

Hi, I've had my Yuu for a couple of weeks now and feel that I'm progressing pretty well, but I just have a couple of questions about playing in the kan register. I'm working on playing kan notes at the moment.. I can hit Ro, Tsu and Re probably 70% of attempts by a combination of tightening my embouchure, getting closer to the utaguchi and using a bit more pressure in my diaphram (overblowing), but I was wondering how to play kan notes quietly and with control. It seems I have to really be playing loudly to hit them, and they are quite breathy and unstable, often dropping back down into otsu. From trial and error it seems to be mostly about lip tension and narrowing the embouchure, but then it also seems that too much tension in the lips completely loses the sound.

I guess it's probably just a matter of practice and training the embouchure day after day. I am having my first lesson with a qualified teacher later this month, but it'd be nice to get a bit of advice in the mean time. When I hear those sweet, mellow kan tones of players like Riley Lee, with so much control, and so subtle I just... ahhh well all in time :-)

Thanks

Last edited by Danny (2010-06-08 05:17:46)

http://dustymoon.org/

Follow the ancient path / deep into mountains / and go further still..

#2 2010-06-08 06:58:28

purehappiness

Re: Kan quietly, lip tension?

Practice,practice,practice. This will take better control on all you have previously stated. Breath, diaphram, and embrochure all come into play.It takes starting off slowly with the right embrochure until you break the sound and gradually increase pressure(to increase volume).At least that is how I am trying to do it. i have only been playing for about 1 and 1/2 years now so I am not  a pro.I hope that helps.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer