Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-06-01 14:53:46

Thomas

Western Notation for Shamisen

Does anyone know of western notation for shamisen?  Is there any Gaikyoku written in western notation? Does such a thing exist?  Any info would be helpful, thanks.

#2 2010-06-01 16:45:14

Dun Romin

Re: Western Notation for Shamisen

Yes, western notation for shamisen, like for koto, exists.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#3 2010-06-01 18:31:49

Thomas

Thank you for clearing that up.  Now, where do you think I can locate such notation?

#4 2010-06-01 19:57:54

edosan
Edomologist

Thomas wrote:

Thank you for clearing that up.  Now, where do you think I can locate such notation?

You might try emailing Mejiro. Unlikely they would have it, but they may know who does:

access[at]mejiro-jp.com

Also try Monty Levenson at www.shakuhachi.com. He probably doesn't have it either, but may be able to point you:

monty[at]shakuhachi.com

Not a common item, and it's probably just as easy to learn the Japanese notation.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-06-10 05:03:25

Gerry

The Oyama school of Tsugaru shamisen has 11 books of folksongs from northern Japan in both traditional tab and standard western notation.
They are sold on this page, the first image on the left as you scroll down. They cost 2100 yen each. These people may be able to help you in English.

http://www.oyamakai.com/sales/index.html

Here is a page from the website of Kameya, a shamisen shop in Tokyo that is able to deal with English speaking customers. That same series of books is about halfway down the page.
They may be able to tell you if any other music is available in this format - I visited the shop a few weeks ago and they were very helpful.
http://www.e-kameya.com/product/book.html

#6 2010-10-13 22:12:42

sokyoku
Website

KINEYA SeihĂ´ from the Yamada koto and shamisen school wrote a fair number of contemporary pieces for solo, duet and trio jiuta shamisen.  They are all published in Western notation (although they are a bit of a challenge to come by).  I think the publisher is/was Hakushindo in Tokyo, but I can't find a website online for you, sorry. 

If you want to check out Kineya's compositions, there are a lot listed here - http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/nokk/English200 … x2002.htm.  If you click on Kineya SeihĂ´ in the composer section on the left, it'll bring up the compositions in the centre section.  Then click on each composition for details of dates, instrumentation, occasional sound clips etc. to come up on the right.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Board footer