You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » Is there a dvd or a good series of lessons on how to play the shakuhac

#1 2010-06-13 00:16:08

tddy934

Is there a dvd or a good series of lessons on how to play the shakuhac

Hello, I've been starting to learn the shakuhachi by watching videos on youtube, but there isn't many quality videos on there on how to play the shakuhachi, and where I live, I can't find a teacher and I'm only 15 so I can't travel to learn how to play.
I was wondering if there was some good series of lessons somewhere out there that teach you how to play shakuhachi?
I can't even find a finger chart that I understand.
I already know how to play the western concert flute, but I am no pro at it [I quit playing it because it sounded to metaly]
All replies are welcomed, thanks.

#2 2010-06-13 06:27:26

purehappiness

Re: Is there a dvd or a good series of lessons on how to play the shakuhac

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#3 2010-06-13 06:35:30

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

tddy934. where are you located?  It's unusual for a person of your age to come to the shakuhachi.  I would strongly suggest that you look for a teacher near you, and if one doesn't exist, look for a skype teacher.  There are several good teachers on this forum who would be of much more use to you than anything youtube or a video series could help you with.  Good luck with it.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#4 2010-06-13 08:49:27

tddy934

Jeff Cairns wrote:

tddy934. where are you located?  It's unusual for a person of your age to come to the shakuhachi.  I would strongly suggest that you look for a teacher near you, and if one doesn't exist, look for a skype teacher.  There are several good teachers on this forum who would be of much more use to you than anything youtube or a video series could help you with.  Good luck with it.

I'm located in Victorville, Ca.
And, I've noticed there aren't a lot of younger people that play shakuhachi, can't wonder why, it's one of the most interesting and pure sounding instruments.
I'm sure that if I drive a little ways out, I could find a teacher, but there are to problems, I can't drive, and I don't have any money, nor do my parents have any to use on what they view as merely flute lessons.. hmm
Thank you very much for the help.

#5 2010-06-13 08:53:14

tddy934

Thanks for the help, well looking at the fingering chart, I was confused with what all the symbols mean. I have no prior experience with this instrument so know all the notes name and what not is very confusing to me.
Do you think you can explain it a little to me?

#6 2010-06-13 09:27:01

purehappiness

The symbols are basically the japanese name for each note. The fingerings show which holes should be covered. This is a very basic explanation but should give you something. You need to learn how to play each note and then maybe try making up some songs for starters.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#7 2010-06-13 09:28:01

purehappiness

Here is an easier? website maybe.

http://japanshakuhachi.com/gettingstarted.html

Lieh-tzu

#8 2010-06-13 10:01:55

radi0gnome
Website

tddy934 wrote:

I'm sure that if I drive a little ways out, I could find a teacher, but there are to problems, I can't drive, and I don't have any money, nor do my parents have any to use on what they view as merely flute lessons.. hmm

Geni Skendo teaches shakuhachi via Skype and says on his website that he won't turn any student down for financial reasons: http://www.genimusic.com/lessons.cfm He's good, I took lessons from him and I got a lot out of it.

You can also point out to your parents that playing flute makes you really smart, it worked for me smile More seriously, music lessons at your age will not only serve to get you better at playing music, but there are a lot of transferable skills learned by learning notational systems, different logical parts of your brain are exercised by studying intervals and chords and has been demonstrated to be beneficial for growing minds, and exercising the intuitive process, which is also a part of studying music, is also beneficial.

Show your parents this: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/ps/musiciq.pdf , promise to stay away from drugs, promise to keep your school grades up, offer to mow the lawn, do whatever you need to do, it's important to your future. You stumbled onto it yourself, and I know for certain from talking with many people about their early musical experiences that if you quit you'll regret it later on in life. Music is such an integral and enjoyable part of my life I can't imagine what it would be like without it. Point out to them that it's not it's not about becoming a professional flute player, that probably won't happen (just statistically, I wouldn't want to discourage you if that is what you are aspiring to). I'm over 50, started silver flute at 15, and hardly made a dime from it and in no way feel like my parents money was wasted, and I'm very grateful that they gave me the instrument and lessons. And BTW, I had to talk them into letting go of the money too. They want what's best for you, sometimes you might have to educate them to what that is.

And remember, it is your parents money, you'd probably be best off letting them talk to Geni first (or whatever teacher you choose) and keep them up to date on what you are learning.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#9 2010-06-14 19:02:11

Eugene
Website

At 10, I quit learning to play the piano as I thought that I would be unable to cope with my studies and other activities, and now I have just started on the shakuhachi at the (presumably still youthful) age of 25. I kind of regret it these days, so yeah, instead of waiting until you are more or less done with your studies and are more financially independent to resume learning a musical instrument, I second the opinion that you should pursue this now, whatever it takes smile

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » Is there a dvd or a good series of lessons on how to play the shakuhac

Board footer