Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-07 21:04:10

Moran from Planet X
Website

Vincent Van Watazumido

My overactive mind was looking at the big pic of Watazumi from the new "old" cd on http://myoanshakuhachi.blogspot.com/

and I said to myself "Self, trying to play like Watazumi is about as as impossible as trying to paint like Van Gogh."

And I think my Self was right.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2010-07-08 07:47:38

jamesnyman

Re: Vincent Van Watazumido

Virtually all great artists in any field started out trying to copy the masters, then went on to be one themselves by adding their own personal, unique, individual contributions to the field.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#3 2010-07-09 07:22:37

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

My overactive mind was looking at the big pic of Watazumi from the new "old" cd on http://myoanshakuhachi.blogspot.com/

and I said to myself "Self, trying to play like Watazumi is about as as impossible as trying to paint like Van Gogh."

And I think my Self was right.

Chris, it's not impossible, the question is, "When?" smile

Making art is the organization of techniques and materials combined with vision to convey a life experience. Once you learn the  techniques, you're half way there.

jamesnyman wrote:

Virtually all great artists in any field started out trying to copy the masters, then went on to be one themselves by adding their own personal, unique, individual contributions to the field.

Spot on James!

One of my most influential art teachers said something like, "You should learn to paint like the masters. And when you get there, you'll find yourself." As Edosan would say,  "It ain't easy."

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/pollacksm.jpg

It took Jackson Pollack his entire lifetime.

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-07-09 07:23:24)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2010-07-09 08:38:40

Glenn Swann
Website

"When you begin any art, everything you try is shallow, every direction you turn may be wrong- very few beginners break free from the restrictions of their mistakes. You must study and nourish your talent, then you will realise that man can be as great as heaven and earth- you need not content yourself with an inferior posiiton. Mistakes must simply be corrected; today's ideas are correct, and yesterday's are wrong for today."-- Cheng Man-ch'ing

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#5 2010-07-09 10:53:13

Jim Thompson

Not everybody can "become a Watazumi" but everybody can be a little better next month than they are today.  There is great joy in that. It's enough.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#6 2010-07-09 11:06:12

radi0gnome
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Making art is the organization of techniques and materials combined with vision to convey a life experience. Once you learn the  techniques, you're half way there.

I remember reading about how Karl Berger said that when you try to play like some artist you admire, and you can't quite get it, that is a good thing because that is you. I interpreted that as saying that individuality in style is a good thing, and is the natural direction for things to progress.

With the abundance of techniques, it could easily take a lifetime to just get to that halfway point.

BTW, isn't all this goal stuff with halfway points and stuff like that kind of anti-zen? If you're picking up the flute and enjoying it, you're cool. Trust that it's the same as most artistic and physical endeavors it feels cooler when you get better at it, so that's an encouragement not to plateau if possible.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#7 2010-07-09 11:42:38

purehappiness

Enjoy the moment. Then you will progress leaps and bounds. smile

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-07-10 06:05:47)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer