World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-19 08:48:01

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Room temperature for making

Hi all!

Here were I live we are in winter, and the temperature is around 0°C to 10°C (32°F to 52°F).

I am making adjusts in two 2.4 shakuhachi which I started in summer, and can say that they have some notes souding better now that's cold (which made me think that some points will be better smaller, makes sense?). Well, since we will not always play in cold, for sure is good to have a certain room temperature when making subtle adjusts.

What cares should one take when try to 'hold" a temperature? I have the instruments on the oposite side of the heater, and also puted a tub with hot water above it to have some humidifier...

Any advices? How many degrees should the room be ideally?

Peace!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2010-07-20 20:31:14

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Re: Room temperature for making

With wind instruments, the colder it is the flatter they play. There can be a big problem with temperature differential, since the breath is generally around 30 degrees. This means that the notes at the top of the instrument will be considerably sharper than those at the bottom. This has only to do with tuning, it doesn't change the relationship of the modes, which is what would happen if you started screwing around with the bore.

Generally instruments are designed to be in tune at 26 degrees.

Toby

#3 2010-07-20 20:40:26

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Room temperature for making

Here's a thought, if you can, first, go warm yourself up blowing a known flute so you are well tuned, then while the new flute is 'cold' record a scale or two, plus a couple of minio and maybe a familiar Honkyoku.
Then wait and warm up the same new flute while making no physical changes to your recording set up. Then once satisfied your new flute is now warmly optimised, go record the same scales, Minio and Honkyoku.

Then come back and report any observations.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer