Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-22 10:57:43

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Yung Flutes Opening Second workshop!

http://www.yungflutes.com/ebayphotos/yf_logo_01.gif

Hi All,

I am proud to announce that I am opening a second workshop in Massachusetts. Starting September 1, 2006, I will be set up to work from the beautiful town of North Hampton. Yung Flutes NH will be fully equipt just as in Yung Flutes NYC. All aspects of shakuhachi construction AND repairs and refurbishings can be undertaken - cracks, utaguchi replacement, nakatsuki joint tightening, retuning, urushi etc... you name it.

I will split my time between Yung Flutes NYC and Yung Flutes NH so those who send me flutes should always ask where I'll be before they drop anything in the mail. perry@yungflutes.com

Perry Yung/Yung Flutes
15 Park Ave
Northampton, MA  01060-2211

NYC shipping

Perry Yung/Yung Flutes
125 West 106th St Apt 2A
NY, NY 10025

Tel (646) 942-7540

I thoroughly enjoy meeting and playing with shakuhachi people of all styles, levels or persuasion so if you are in the Western Mass area, please feel free to stop by for some Ocha (green tea).

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-08-29 01:16:54)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2006-08-22 16:49:17

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Yung Flutes Opening Second workshop!

Glad to hear this! I have several students in that area (who occasionally need repairs etc) and I visit often. Looking forward to seeing you there at some point!

What brings you to Northampton?

Phil.

#3 2006-08-23 00:07:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

nyokai wrote:

What brings you to Northampton?

Phil.

Hi Phil,

A little fresh air, the kids need a yard, and my life partner got a full scholarship at Smith College for an MFA in Choreography. Can't  pass that up.

I would love to meet your students. Someone at the local Yoga studio saw Kurahashi perform there. Know anything about that?

Namaste, Perry

#4 2006-08-23 05:54:50

KenC

Perry,

Welcome to the area!!  "NOHO" as some of us fondly refer to it, is a wonderful town. I live just south about 20 minutes and am there often.  The Zendo i attend sunday AM  is in town.  While i am new to Shakuhachi i will definately stop in and say hello.

Best Wishes,

Ken

#5 2006-08-23 14:50:03

bluespiderweb

Good luck to you and your family in your new home and shop, Perry!

The kids should love it too!

Be well,  Barry

#6 2006-08-24 00:22:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Congrats Perry and we can all hope for more fantastic flutes to roll out of that place!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2006-08-24 01:23:03

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Congratulations and good luck with both of your workshops.   I may get to Massachusetts some day as I have cousins in Boston.  I'm just curious, are you the only person with a shakuhachi workshop/ workshops on the east coast?

#8 2006-08-24 08:58:39

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Perry,
that`s great man.
i live in boston, your workshop is 1.50 min from me. (closer than NY)
Are you going to have a opening party:-)

geni

#9 2006-08-25 08:46:33

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi All, thanks for your well wishes.

geni wrote:

i live in boston, your workshop is 1.50 min from me. (closer than NY)
Are you going to have a opening party:-)

geni

Sorry, no party for the opening. It's just a workshop, not a store front. But, I never say no to anyone showing up at my door with a bottle of sake.smile

Ken, Anyone is welcomed to come by for a visit. Phoning ahead would be recommend.

Dan, As far as I know, In the East Coast. I'm the only shakuhachi maker that makes flutes in the Japanese tradition. I get visits from lots of folks who have made their own flutes though. Just last week, I spent three hours with someone who learned how to play and make shakuhachi on his own. I had only planned to spent one hour with him but his enthusiasm was contagious. He dug his own bamboo, cured it, drilled the holes (in the right places) AND learned how to play it!

Tairaku, I hope the trees surrounding the shop will influence my work. I know the  honking cabs iin NYC did.

Thanks Bluespiderweb

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-08-25 08:50:25)

#10 2006-08-25 10:41:56

Anthony

Backyards (fresh air smile ) and scholarships are great things - just be careful, because unlike NYC, NH folks have strange accents.  Best wishes to you and your family!

Anthony

#11 2006-08-25 11:31:20

nomaD43

Perry,
Congratulations on the new workshop. The next time I get home to Massachusetts, I will have to pay you a visit and see where you do your work. I purchased one of your 2.3 student grade flutes off of ebay maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I have recently been pushing myself to practice again - too many years without a teacher and without the discipline to play regularly.
All the best,
Damon

#12 2006-08-28 23:26:40

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Damon, Thanks for your post.

nomaD43 wrote:

Perry,
Congratulations on the new workshop. The next time I get home to Massachusetts, I will have to pay you a visit and see where you do your work. I purchased one of your 2.3 student grade flutes off of ebay maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

I started selling on eBay in 1999. Please do come by for a visit the next time you are in this neck of the woods. I would love to visit with an old friend.

I have recently been pushing myself to practice again - too many years without a teacher and without the discipline to play regularly.
All the best,
Damon

Playing shakuhachi is very much like speaking a language. The more you use it, the more fluent you will be. That's one reason to surround yourself with shakuhachi players. Many people outside of Japan do not have the luxury of a large population of players, that's why this forum is so important. Although we can't hear one another's tone, we can imagine the communal vibration.

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-08-28 23:27:07)

Board footer