World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-07-16 11:43:37

Paul Kastner
Bosstweeds
Website

Please help Tom Deaver's family sort out outstanding Shakuhachi orders

I am writing this on behalf of Tom's family who are trying to sort out Tom's outstanding transactions.

Yesterday after Tom's Farewell Ceremony, Nakamura-san, an accomplished Shakuhachi maker from Okaya and Tom's sons and I went into his workshop to try to begin to figure out the status the various Shakuhachi lying about.   We are trying to access which if any flutes Tom had been sent for repair, which flutes were finished and who had ordered them...   There are many flutes in various stages of completion, some finished, some just needing a little rattan and Urushi...Tom mentioned to me last week that he had several orders that were almost finished...if he could only get into his workshop...Unfortunately Tom's records toward the end are incomplete and in some cases we could not find certain flutes we expected to be there.

Please get in touch with me (or directly to Tom's email; his son Isaki-san is monitoring the email and website) if:

If you have sent a flute to Tom for repair:  Please include any emails or communications to date, a photo of the flute(s) if available, date sent, length, fees if paid, Tom's estimated cost and any other information to help find and repair your flute.  Include your contact information.  Nakamura-san has kindly agreed to repair any flute for a reasonable fee.  Please get in touch to find out about your flute if you sent it to Tom for repair.

If you had a flute on order with Tom: Please include any emails or communications to date, date ordered, length, fees if paid, Tom's estimated cost and any other information to help find the flute.  Include your contact information.  Your flute may not have been completed and your order might be canceled

Tom sent out many Shakuhachi on consignment.  He trusted people and almost always gave folks the chance to play and evaluate a flute before completing the purchase.  One could always send a flute back to Tom if one was not happy with it.  If you have a flute but have not paid for it yet please contact myself or Tom's email about the details of the flute you have.  The Deaver's request that you finalize the transaction either by purchasing the flute or by returning it.  Postage must be paid by the sender.

For those interested:
In Tom's workshop are many valuable items; Tom's notebooks (very precious to those who can understand them) There is also a vast amount of material besides the various finished and unfinished flutes mentioned above.  There are lots of tools and some excellent bamboo stock.  There is even some bamboo from Rampo Yokoyama's old workshop!  Much of the stock is cured and some of it over 30 years old.  At some point in the future Tom's family will want to sell this mentioned and the possiblity of an auction some time in the future.  It is hard to put a price on many of these things.  They of course plan to keep many items for mementos,  When I know more about the plans for this I will post it here.

I will be going back to help them sort through this material tomorrow and might post any new findings later.  Yesterday we put a bouquet of flowers on Tom's cushion;  the place Tom sat for endless hours making his beautiful Shakuhachi which are appreciated by people all over the world...

On behalf of Tom's family, I want to thank everyone in advance for their support.

#2 2010-08-08 17:54:49

jimwilms

Re: Please help Tom Deaver's family sort out outstanding Shakuhachi orders

paul.. i don't know many of tom's friends but ran across your message about his family and estate.. hope it can be sorted out without too much trouble.. i know what a record keeper he was so if he didn't keep good records at the end i'm not surprised.. i only knew of tom's troubles over the last year in general terms by his correspondence.. i knew he was in trouble but could only set back and send him my best thoughts.. yoko sent me a photo of tom in his hospital bed and it showed the suffering he had gone thru.. tom was my oldest and dearest friend.. i've know him since we were in college together.. i will miss him every day of the rest of my life.. my sympathies to all who knew him..  jim.

jimwilms@yahoo.com

Board footer