Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-08-10 19:38:26

Lorka

honkyoku for 2.0 and/or 2.4

I keep hearing that certain pieces are better suited to different lengths of flute.  This is, in fact, something that seems prevalent on the forum; mainly, an interest in flutes outside of the 1.8.  While the 1.8 is my main focus, I am curious what pieces people think are better suited to other lengths of flute.  In particular I am interested in honkyoku that are perhaps deemed better suited to lengths 2.0 and 2.4.  Some kind of explantion as to why they are better suited would be appreciated.  Thanks.  I'm just curious is all.  Chances are, I could not play the pieces in question, but perhaps the answers will give me something to work toward.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2010-08-10 22:04:27

edosan
Edomologist

Re: honkyoku for 2.0 and/or 2.4

Lorka wrote:

I keep hearing that certain pieces are better suited to different lengths of flute.  This is, in fact, something that seems prevalent on the forum; mainly, an interest in flutes outside of the 1.8.  While the 1.8 is my main focus, I am curious what pieces people think are better suited to other lengths of flute.  In particular I am interested in honkyoku that are perhaps deemed better suited to lengths 2.0 and 2.4.  Some kind of explantion as to why they are better suited would be appreciated.  Thanks.  I'm just curious is all.  Chances are, I could not play the pieces in question, but perhaps the answers will give me something to work toward.

Here's a two page thread which may be of use (obtained by putting 'flute length honkyoku' into the Forum search engine).

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=4269

There are some other, older threads on the subject, which you may find by doing that search and poking around farther down, but this is a pretty good one, with some heavy-hitters participating.

In case you want it, here's the search results page, too:  http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/search.p … =511496781

Last edited by edosan (2010-08-10 22:06:47)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-08-11 00:29:40

Lorka

Re: honkyoku for 2.0 and/or 2.4

Cool, thanks Ed.  I had a brain malfunction and should have checked with the search function before asking.  Info looks good

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

Board footer