Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-30 01:05:57

pablo63

grasping at bamboo intead of straw

introduced to the shakuhachi last month at 63 years of age.  I was at a bon-fire getogether & had my bamboo peruvian (bansuri style) & a native folk flute. A fellow asked if I minded if he accomanied me on his. Well, to get to the punch line, he came back w/two shakuhachi, an antigue, & a student flute w/no utachi (not that I knew what they were called at that point.  30 seconds after he began, I became unable to play at all...entranced by the vibrations.  He asked why I stopped & I told him I about ready to toss my flutes into the bonfire (just kidding).  He let me try his student model & it was one of those beginners luck thing. After about 2 minute I found the right embrosure & had just one good long tone... I'm waiting for a 2.4 just purched on ebay, and have my first lesson tommorrow & may have the good fortune to purchase one needed for formal from that teacher. I have been for three weeks contacting & researching. Every one of the people in the shakuhachi community I've contacted have been nothing but helpful, honest & nuturing.  Three of the maker & vendors, rather than make the sale, told me they didn't beleive their instrument was right for me & asked me to speak w/my teacher before buying, or told me it wasn't just right for formal lesson.  I am humbled by the kindness shown me....while on this new most magical journey.

#2 2006-08-30 03:26:59

Alex

Re: grasping at bamboo intead of straw

Hey Pablo!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum. Yes, there are wonderful people around Shakuhachi, maybe it's that those vibrations you felt by the bonfire touch our kindest side and enhance it!

It's great to share something so special with a lot of special people, and this forum is a perfect example of that; everytime I had a doubt, on any issue, there was someone ready to answer so don't hesitate to ask any doubt you have!

Best of luck with your journey!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#3 2006-09-01 03:28:51

xiaonaihua
Website

Re: grasping at bamboo intead of straw

yes!       pablo63 !  Welcome to join us !   : )

Board footer