Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-08-11 19:04:07

Galactic Dog

My continual effort to find a good tone

I've been practicing blowing softer tones and I seem to be achieving a more solid sound.  Is it wise to stick to softer tones to develop a more solid sound?   My question is; Will the volume of tone naturally develop?

#2 2010-08-11 19:44:18

edosan
Edomologist

Re: My continual effort to find a good tone

Galactic Dog wrote:

I've been practicing blowing softer tones and I seem to be achieving a more solid sound.  Is it wise to stick to softer tones to develop a more solid sound?   My question is; Will the volume of tone naturally develop?

My question would be: have you achieved this more solid sound playing softer by playing flat, at all? If the answer is yes, then it's probably unwise.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-08-12 02:51:32

Karmajampa
Website

As I believe previously mentioned, people often blow too hard at the beginning thinking that is how to get volume, and run out of air very quickly, but if you put in good hours of practice and develop abdominal breathing, you should also notice you get more accurate with your embouchure and with way less blow you get good volume.......and still have some air left over for something else.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2010-08-12 06:46:36

purehappiness

I think your ab's do play a big part of things. Breathing will develop strength in your abs and this will help a lot.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

Board footer