Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-08-27 21:59:11

PiperJon

Greetings from Outland

I've been reading and learning what I can for a little while now from this amazing resource, so I thought now would be a good time to introduce myself.  Hi, y'all!  I live in beautiful humid Arkansas, USA, and while it's hardly the cultural wasteland that many think it is, it is also not exactly a mecca for the shakuhachi, either.  So, I've found myself turning to my old friend, the Innerwebs.

I play a number of instruments, but even in my very short time thys far, I know that this is an entirely different kind of instrument than any I've attempted or have learned.  But I will say, I can play one note, go no hi. And sometimes ri.  Mostly.  Usually.  :-)  I've long wanted to learn the shakuhachi for my meditative practice, and it appears the time to do so is upon me.

I have a 1.8 PVC shakuhachi that is modeled after (or may even be, for all I know) a Shaku Utility Flute.  And today I ordered a Yuu, with some beginner materials.  I have purposefully not taken a great deal of time or effort to learn a lot on my own, but rather have just focused on getting a good sound one note.  I didn't want to learn a lot of bad habits before I got my instruction situation worked out, but I did want to have put the thing in my face at least a little.  Once I start workig in earnest, however, I will have a set time and practice routine.  I've read with great interest everyone's focus on having instruction, and shortly after I do some small work on my own, I'll avail myself of some Skype lessons.  The Shakuhachi Yuu site indicated I could get 90 minutes with Michael Chikuzen Gould, I hope that's still the case.  If not, I'll still seek out some Skypeness.

Okay, didn't mean to write a novel, I much prefer the silence of lurking.  But I'll be around, thank you all for your amazing openness and willingness to dedicate to this forum. You never know who you will influence just by writing.

Pj

Q: How many Zen buddhists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Tree falling in the forest.

#2 2010-08-28 08:15:19

Danny
Website

Re: Greetings from Outland

Hi PiperJon, nice to meet you. I also have a Yuu and am just a beginner. I really love the Yuu, and you will find that it starts to sound more like a real bamboo flute the better you get. Are you a Zen practicioner? If so, with a group and in what lineage?

Peace

Last edited by Danny (2010-08-28 08:17:51)

http://dustymoon.org/

Follow the ancient path / deep into mountains / and go further still..

#3 2010-08-28 12:35:40

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Welcome to the forum Jon. Enjoy your stay!

#4 2010-08-28 16:32:21

PiperJon

Greetings, and thank you for your welcoming messages!

Mujitsu, thank you, I already have enjoyed my short time here, and plan to continue to do so.  You have a remarkable thing here, and it is an absolute treasure, particularly to a Beginner(mind) like me.  While I have seen that emotions can often run high in such online communities, including this one, I view that as a good sign that those here are passionate about their instrument, their viewpoints, and their traditions.  I like that.

Danny,  good to meet you too, and thank you for your question. I am a solo practitioner, and have been so most of the time on this long, strange Path.  I have rarely attended meeting and sesshin at the Ecumenical Buddhist Society, and have generally thought of myself a follower of Rinzai tradition.  However, true to my Southern roots, I consider myself to be one of those oddball Buddhist Christians.  (Try and explain THAT to some folks...) Mostly my practice these days has focused on mindfulness, no pun intended, and feel most influenced by the writings of Thich Nhat Kanh and Shunru Suzuki.  I also occasionally practice kinhin, and have incorporated Judo and Aikido flavored slow movement on occasion, just because my practice isn't weird enough as it is.  :-)  I feel the need for more Sitting these days, however, and I feel the time is right to pursue my long held interest in the shakuhachi. 

I'm looking forward to receiving my Yuu!  I've read with great interest various responses to and reviews of a synthetic representation of a traditional instrument, a concept that is very often met initially with great contention among musicians.  I've focused initially on synthetics myself out of necessity, not only for the monetary value, but due to the fact that I enjoy camping and hiking in this beautiful state of Arkansas, and do so in a manner that requires good mountaineering and a reliable GPS to find my way out to "civilization" again.  Lightweight and bulletproof are necessary qualifications for any instrument that travels with me, and it appears the one I have and the one I'll soon have fit that bill.  And they'll fit in the same case as my Martin backpacker. 

I do know that once I start getting into things, I will have a multitude of questions.  Yes, there's a history, lol. I promise to try to find my own answers first, though, before running to make a post, as I doubt that an endless flow of noob questions would be the most interesting reading or conversation, eh?

I wish you all well and a soothing weekend!  Thank you for your welcomings!

Pj

Q: How many Zen buddhists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Tree falling in the forest.

Board footer