Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » Jinashi shakuhachi promoted out there...

#1 2010-09-06 07:16:41

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jinashi shakuhachi promoted out there...

Dear all

As the jinashi forum moderator, I would like to share some news regarding jinashi shakuhachi and how it is getting out there in the world more openly.

Well, it all started with Shimura Satoshi Zenpo sensei said to me something like this at the European Shakuhachi Festival in Prague: "I have to thank you! It is because of you that jinashi shakuhachi has for the first time been mentioned on a poster for a performance at the Kokuritsu Gekijō (国立劇場 = National Theater)!"
He was very excited about it as he regarded it as a break-through for jinashi shakuhachi... I didn't quite get it it first but he patiently explained to me that he was going to perform the piece Shinubi, which I had commissioned from Takahashi Yūji at the National Theatre. And because I had insisted on it being a piece consciously written with the jinashi shakuhachi in mind, well the title became: Sinubi (kunrei spelling) for jinashi shakuhachi.

The first poster is an example of Shimura sensei's usual activities: A concert at the Hamamatsu Instrument Museum where he will play old jinashi shakuhachi. Here you can see in the upper left side of the poster that he writes jinashi shakuhachi.
The next poster beside is the one from the National Theatre. Every 6 years or so, the National Theatre in Tokyo hosts a day of shakuhachi music and this year it will take place on the 23 September. The writing in the black side describes the performers in the 1 pm honkyoku concert. From 4 pm SHimura participates in the contemporary music concert.

The last poster below is the bit from the National Theatre poster that shows the concerned piece. At the top it is written Shinubi (2007) by Takahashi Yūji, and then jinashi shakuhachi played by Shimura Zenpo.

The other performers in the honkyoku concert are: Kakizakai Kaoru: Honshirabe Yamagoe, Zenyoji Keisuke: Matsukase, Mitsuhashi Kifu: Reibo, Iwata Seien: San'ya, Sakai Shodo:  門開喜 (sorry not sure how to read the title), Kawase Junsuke: Kokū Reibo.
I won't translate the contemporary music titles as I can't read quite a few of them... oh well. But I am sure you get the idea that it is top class performers playing here.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/hamamatsu-1.jpg      http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/kokuritsugekijo-1.jpg      http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/KokuGeki_excerpt-1.jpg

I am on a personal level extremely happy to see how at least one of the pieces for my PhD project is being used! And a fantastic event for it to be played. Shimura also played Shinubi at the European Shakuhachi Festival in Prag, and he played it superbly! And it is nice to see how jinashi shakuhachi reaches more and more people.

PS. I am just a jinashi shakuhachi enthusiast being happy about this - as much as Shimura sensei was happy about it. None of us is saying jinashi shakuhachi is better than any other shakuhachi including PVC, jinuri, jimori, wood or what-ever other material. Just so you know wink

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2010-09-06 08:13:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Jinashi shakuhachi promoted out there...

Onward Jinashi Warriors!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-09-06 09:06:54

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Onward Jinashi Warriors!

lol

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2010-09-06 13:25:18

edosan
Edomologist

Jinashi ~ The Rodney Dangerfield of shakuhachi...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-09-06 14:44:57

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

edosan wrote:

Jinashi ~ The Rodney Dangerfield of shakuhachi...

lol
I brought my jinashi in for appraisal. The appraiser said, "The tone is barbaric!" I told him, "If you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion." He said, "Fine, it's also out of tune!"

#6 2010-09-06 15:56:16

edosan
Edomologist

lol  lol  lol  lol  hmm

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#7 2010-09-06 16:09:16

Kiku Day
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

I brought my jinashi in for appraisal. The appraiser said, "The tone is barbaric!" I told him, "If you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion." He said, "Fine, it's also out of tune!"

and some of us are crazy enough to be enthusiasts about this..... craaaaaaazy!!!!   roll  hmm   roll  hmm  roll

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#8 2010-09-06 16:38:34

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Wow that is good news! As I talked a little bit here and there I understand de jinashi is very uncommon in Japan, so now its getting famous even there!
And no matter what: 'cast bore is best'.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#9 2010-09-06 16:47:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

lol  lol  lol  lol  hmm

LOL!

#10 2010-09-07 04:45:40

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Wow that is good news! As I talked a little bit here and there I understand de jinashi is very uncommon in Japan, so now its getting famous even there!

There are quite a lot of people who play jinashi shakuhachi in Japan. In this performance for example Iwata Seien will also, as far as I understand, be playing jinashi. But people usually don't feel the need to announce that. It's just "shakuhachi".

#11 2010-09-07 07:48:06

edosan
Edomologist

Justin wrote:

It's just "shakuhachi".

Careful, Justin, lest you raise the spectre of the 'Riley/Kiku' debate, and knock the earth off its axis...

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#12 2010-09-07 11:03:32

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

edosan wrote:

Justin wrote:

It's just "shakuhachi".

Careful, Justin, lest you raise the spectre of the 'Riley/Kiku' debate, and knock the earth off its axis...

Well, I do remember Riley speaking about this. And perhaps what he said makes sense. I usually play jinashi myself and recently performed on 1.8 and 3.4, both jinashi, in the Prague festival. So I am certainly not against jinashi! I didn't personally feel any need to announce to the Prague populous that they were specifically "jinashi shakuhachi" though. Not to say it would be bad to.

I do meet some anti-non-jinashi people from time to time and sometimes wonder about that, and the background behind some of the issues involved. Whether this promotion of differentiation would promote harmony or division for example. I don't have the answers. Maybe it's just an academic thing in the end...

Last edited by Justin (2010-09-07 11:08:20)

#13 2010-09-07 14:06:21

marek
Website

Sorry for being OT...

Experience from a recent, notably wine perfumed, jam session proved that jinashi and jiari sounds are indeed complementary.

M.

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#14 2010-09-07 14:18:39

Kiku Day
Website

marek wrote:

Sorry for being OT...

Experience from a recent, notably wine perfumed, jam session proved that jinashi and jiari sounds are indeed complementary.

M.

I know they are. Jim Franklin and I have actually been in the process of getting an Australian composer to write a duet for jinashi and jinuri shakuhachi... for the laugh of it! And as you say, they are complementary! lol

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#15 2010-09-08 08:08:51

cy23
Website

Very good news! As a Jinashi lover I love to see this development. Thanks for caring so much Kiku

#16 2010-09-11 19:51:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

edosan wrote:

Justin wrote:

It's just "shakuhachi".

Well, I do remember Riley speaking about this. And perhaps what he said makes sense. I usually play jinashi myself and recently performed on 1.8 and 3.4, both jinashi, in the Prague festival. So I am certainly not against jinashi! I didn't personally feel any need to announce to the Prague populous that they were specifically "jinashi shakuhachi" though. Not to say it would be bad to.

I do meet some anti-non-jinashi people from time to time and sometimes wonder about that, and the background behind some of the issues involved. Whether this promotion of differentiation would promote harmony or division for example. I don't have the answers. Maybe it's just an academic thing in the end...

Let's take it a step further. Why don't we just call it flute? We don't need to differentiate it from other flutes do we?

Do we need to say, "snare drum, bass drum, tom tom, djembe, taiko" etc.? Why not just say "drum"?

Do we really need to specify "electric guitar, nylon string guitar, flamenco guitar, hollowbody jazz box, 12-string" etc. Why not just say "guitar"?

I agree that jinashi shakuhachi and jiari shakuhachi are both shakuhachi. That doesn't mean that to say "jinashi" is a pedantic term. It does clarify things a bit.

What is "anti-non-jinashi"? Do you mean jinashi fundamentalists?

#17 2010-09-11 20:23:40

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

In some circles, it seems that there is no need to specify because the information can't/won't be processed.  However, there are situations where the information is pertinent and in those situations it would further the discourse to say, for example: 'I play a contra-bass'.  I think it's important to know who you are talking to.  If someone is receptive, then why not go all the way?
I'm also curious about "anti-non-jinashi".  If you break that down, your explanation seems right.  However, there must then be 'anti-non jiari' folks around by necessity.  Hmmm...fundamental jiari-ists.  Hide your daughters and run for cover.  It sounds downright frightening.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#18 2010-09-23 08:32:15

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Justin wrote:

edosan wrote:

Let's take it a step further. Why don't we just call it flute? We don't need to differentiate it from other flutes do we?

Hi Brian,
Well, I often do refer to it as flute. Especially in circles where shakuhachi is an unknown term, and not easily remembered. People might see my flute (shakuhachi), and I'll generally refer to it as a flute (in those circumstances). Or if I want to be more specific I often say "Japanese flute". Depends on the context of course. If I am performing, such as recently in India, I will of course introduce the name, and the history of the komuso. Even then I have not told them that my particular instrument is "jinashi" and that some others are not jinashi. These guys don't have that much interest to know about such involved intricacies of the instrument making process. They're mainly there to listen.

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Do we need to say, "snare drum, bass drum, tom tom, djembe, taiko" etc.? Why not just say "drum"?

Do we really need to specify "electric guitar, nylon string guitar, flamenco guitar, hollowbody jazz box, 12-string" etc. Why not just say "guitar"?

Yes I used to play guitar and I use to say "I play guitar". If someone would have inquired as to what guitar, I would have told them. But I didn't tell every casual wanderer that I played a nylon string classical guitar.

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

I agree that jinashi shakuhachi and jiari shakuhachi are both shakuhachi. That doesn't mean that to say "jinashi" is a pedantic term. It does clarify things a bit.

Yes I agree that it's not a pedantic term although that may not be to say that it may not be used pedantically!

Jeff Cairns wrote:

In some circles, it seems that there is no need to specify because the information can't/won't be processed.  However, there are situations where the information is pertinent and in those situations it would further the discourse to say, for example: 'I play a contra-bass'.  I think it's important to know who you are talking to.  If someone is receptive, then why not go all the way?

Hi Jeff,
Yes that's what I meant.

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

People who are against shakuhachi with ji. I know a few of them!

#19 2010-09-23 21:32:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Bet if they were stranded on Gilligan's Island and a jiari Miura Kindo washed up on the beach, they'd still be pretty happy! wink

Maybe the jinashi fundamentalists in Japan are defensive because of their minority status in the shakuhachi community.

Here in the West where the Jinashi Warriors have done such a good job of brainwashing people and creating a false jinashi economy (charges I've heard from a few sources) there is no need to be militant. cool wink

#20 2010-09-24 00:11:35

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Justin wrote:

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Bet if they were stranded on Gilligan's Island and a jiari Miura Kindo washed up on the beach, they'd still be pretty happy! wink

Might take them a while to get over it but yes one would hope that in the end they would be happy!

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Maybe the jinashi fundamentalists in Japan are defensive because of their minority status in the shakuhachi community.

Here in the West where the Jinashi Warriors have done such a good job of brainwashing people and creating a false jinashi economy (charges I've heard from a few sources) there is no need to be militant. cool wink

Yes Brian you may be right in a way. But there is also just the general trend of defining one's own group, and then looking down on others as inferior. That is so common in human nature. Although when that is labeled as "Zen" is has a particular irony!

Last edited by Justin (2010-09-24 00:14:10)

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » Jinashi shakuhachi promoted out there...

Board footer