Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-09-04 03:26:30

barokgs11

Questions for seven hole players

- What do you play with your seven hole shakuhachi? Honkyoku, jazz, both?
- Do you also play five hole shakuhachi regularly?
- When playing Honkyoku, do you keep the additional holes closed and play the instrument like a five hole shakuhachi?
- Is it harder to play and learn honkyoku on a seven hole shakuhachi?

Bonus question: What does Peter Ross generally use in his wonderful recordings?

#2 2006-09-06 01:23:07

James

Re: Questions for seven hole players

barokgs11 wrote:

Bonus question: What does Peter Ross generally use in his wonderful recordings?

Peter Ross was my first teacher, so I know a little about what he plays.

His main shakuhachi are 5-hole instruments. He sometimes uses a 7-hole, usually to play jazz. He also has a 6-hole, arabian scale shakuhachi of his own design that he has used on some of his recordings. He has some self-made transverse bamboo flutes that he sometimes uses, as well as a western bass silver flute.

James
(Plays 5-hole exclusively. 7-holes are just too confusing. wink )

#3 2006-09-06 07:22:01

Seth

This now brings together several streams of posts here into one.... (Ney stuff, multi-instrumentalists, and now non standard holed flutes... if only I could think of a zen angle here I would be set.)

I love Ney music - both Persian and Turkish - and am able to get a thin note on a Ney but after spending some time in Tukkey and even having a lesson I learned that I just do not have the time to pursue more than one instrument (but maybe that is because my heart is set on one really demanding quirky ass flute.) 

Question:  I assume it is possible to make a shakuhachi with the Ney scale, and then be able to play the Ney repetoire of music on a shakuhachi.  Yes?  Has someone done this?

Perry stated a while ago that he knew a teacher who cut a shakuhachi utagachi on to a Ney, but I was curious if this produced something worth playing....

Any perspectives on this would be appreciated as I would love to play Persian and Turkish music, but I simply do not have the ability to develop a new embouchere technique...new fingerings, no problem, new embouchere - that's a challenge.

Seth

#4 2006-09-06 07:26:24

Seth

I guess this should have been in the flute making section.  Sorry.

Board footer