Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-18 09:34:30

Thorsten
Website

Recording techniques ?

Recently I started to try some recording (not for professional purposes - just to get a different perspective on my playing) on my home studio set-up and would appreciate some advice from more experienced players.
Of course it will depend on playing skills and what sound one is after but I am sure there are some general things to keep in mind here. So any info about things like e.g. microphone placement or what effects maybe useful to experiment with would be valuable.
Or what are the opinions about effects in general, and if used is there a preferred choice between software based options and/or hardware options ?
For example I applied some reverb within Cubase but it seems to drain the texture out of the original sound even if used sparingly. On the whole the sound I get is lacking in presence, any suggestions besides from learning to play better ?

bw
Thorsten

I am using this set-up at the moment in case someone wonders:
(1.8 Shakuhachi (jiari) / Rode NT1-A / Mackie DFX-6 / M-Audio Audiophile PCI / Mac G4 / Cubase SE)

#2 2005-10-19 15:49:21

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Recording techniques ?

Micing depends a lot on the player.

With most players I don't like close micing, my preference is a minimalist approach: stereo pair of omnis at a distance in a really good space (no added reverb). The sound of the shakuhachi can be considered a collaboration with the environment -- nobody listens to a shakuhachi as close as a mic right in front of it. Close micing is problematic in part because the mic picks up so much air sound. If you roll off the air, you lose a sense of presence; if you keep the air, it makes any added reverb sound very artificial.

When it comes to adding reverb -- either hardware or software -- anything less than the very best is not very good, unfortunately. If you feel compelled to add reverb to a shakuhachi recording, try a convolution algorithm instead of traditional reverb. If you use traditional reverb, you probably need to play a lot with the high-end rolloff setting. But many shakuhachi recordings are way too wet for my taste -- you lose a lot of the nuances to a very generalized sense of the instrument.

Another problem you may run into is running analog into your computer and having it converted there by the PCI card. The computer is an elecrically noisy environment, so it is much better to do your conversion to digital externally and then run it in through firewire or optical cable. I realize that not everyone can do it this way, but for what it's worth my best shakuhachi recordings have been with two Earthworks spaced omnis into Grace preamps into Benchmark converters then direct to disk -- no effects, no EQing, no manipulation at all other than dithering down to 16 bits when necessary for final output.

Best of luck with your recordings!

#3 2005-10-19 17:43:36

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I agree with what Nyokai has to say here. Shakuhachi can be very harsh close miked. I usually use two condensors at a distance in a room with a lot of natural reverb. Even in good studios I end up running the mics out into the stairwell or someplace with natural echo. Another trick is to put one of the mics behind your head. Gets rid of some of the unwanted breathing and wind sounds. Best thing is to experiment with different mic placements. Riley Lee has a nice recording he made in an acoustic research chamber. I don't know what place Watazumi recorded in but on some of his recordings you can distinctly hear that there is a different room sound and/or mic placement for every track. Whether he put any thought into this is ???????????. Generally I have found that you want the mic to be closer to you for long flutes and/or soft playing and the inverse for loud blowing and short flutes. Since we use "ma" in playing honkyoku, you definitely want to be hearing the reverb or room sound while you're recording, or your phrasing will be off.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2005-11-23 03:24:00

kyoreiflutes
Website

I've noticed that artificial reverb just doesn't really cut it like as I'd like; of course, I don't have any SONY sampling Reverbs, so that could be part of it. wink  I do prefer recording in an ambient environment, as well. There's a giant underground tank with around 10+ seconds of decay near me that I'd like to record in, and there's an old train station here in Seattle that has amazing 6-7 second decay, as well. Stairwells are good, too, but you always run the risk of people coming in and out. Funny thing is, reverb isn't necessarily "natural" for Shakuhachi; how much did players of old get to play in reverberating caves, or acoustically-sound rooms? Japanese structures are known for thier quiet, or at least for thier minimal reflection due to construction materials; outside playing doesn't give much in the way of reverb, as you need things in a space to bounce the sound back to you, rather than drift off into nothing. Even if you're standing like 30 feet from someone playing flute on a windy hill, you don't hear much reverb, just the ambient space; part of the reason you think it's reverb is that you're not hearing the attack as much, since you're not that close to the player...anyway...I'm just not sure reverb is a good thing for recording flutes, if you want an "old school" sound.

I agree with these guys...I'd think that a few feet away for the main mics, and at least one stereo pair if you want to capture room ambience, which will put the listener a little more  "in" the room with the player, should work pretty well.

Another trick, if you dont' have a bunch of mics, is to record your piece in your software, then copy the track to a new track, and give that track ALL room ambience, with none of the original signal; render it and mix it subtly back into your mix, and that should give you some nice room effects.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2005-11-28 15:21:46)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer