You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-13 21:21:30

Josh
PhD
Website

NEW CD "Mahoroba"

Hi everyone,
  I recently released my second solo CD called "Mahoroba."  All of the songs on the cd are solos done on a variety of jinashi, jinuri, and jimori. I haven't gone into detail as to what's what, I'll just let the sound speak for itself, except for Shingetsu, which I played/struggled with on a 2.9 jinashi I made.  The CD consists of 3 honkyoku and the rest are originals.
The tourism bureau in my city in Nara is putting together a documentary and wanted some theme based songs from me, so all of the songs are related to Nara.
It was recorded at Osaka Arts University in Shimura sensei's shakuhachi lab by some great recording engineers who are also shakuhachi players, hence great sound quality and detail with tone I think.  More details about the CD and paypal purchasing can be found on this page:

http://www.grand-island-serene-gardens. … oroba.html

The video on this page has the song "Taima Renzo" from the album, although the nature sounds are only on the video:
http://www.grand-island-serene-gardens.com/isuien.html

#2 2010-09-14 00:42:15

madoherty

Re: NEW CD "Mahoroba"

I am looking forward to listening to it Josh.  I really enjoyed the White Phoenix recording.

#3 2010-09-14 00:43:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Congratulations! Send me a copy if you want me to review it for the forum.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-09-14 04:04:12

sahar

Hi Josh,

Great video/sound, as well as enjoyed learning a little about you and family on your website.

Best,

Sahar

#5 2010-09-14 07:46:56

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks everyone,
Brian I emailed you for your address.
Sahar, thanks. I posted a bit of info in the Events and Announcements section about some recent activity and the move.

#6 2010-09-22 00:07:16

Moran from Planet X
Website

Thank you Josh! Just got the CD yesterday. Beautifully put together and magnificently recorded. As Dean says  so sparingly on his Myoan Shakuhachi blog: "Through years of discipline ... recognition and attainment."

I have ZERO street creds for serious shakuhachi reviewing. Being a traditionalist in my own study, I bought the album for Asuka Reibo and Takiochi and allowed myself good space to enjoy and absorb the rest. I was rewarded well.

So my one sentence of critical review?

"Dr. Lee, watch your back!"

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2010-09-29 21:04:09

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Congrats Josh!!! Hopefully a CD release party in US.

#8 2010-09-30 16:04:36

madoherty

Great presentation... pristine sound... great performance.

Definitely more laid back than the White Phoenix recording, but creates a nice backdrop to relaxation.  It is rare that I can listen to a shakuhcahi CD in a relaxed manner without wanting to pick up a flute.  This, though makes an excellent space in which to sit with oneself in, natural, organic... hints of crisp morning air, and muted light light from a screen, casting delicate shadows on tatami.  It makes a fantastic companion to my bonsai "work".

I also really enjoyed Taki Ochi.

-Michael

Board footer