You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-14 06:52:03

Josh
PhD
Website

Moving to the States

Hi,
  The family and I have decided to move back to the states this winter. I've been here in Japan for about 12 years and the timing just seems right for us. It is not an easy decision but the ultimate reason has been my father has been diagnosed with sporadic inclusion-body myocitis, sIBM, a less-severe form of muscular dystrophy. It hasn't started yet at all so he's fine, but once it starts apparently the muscles go pretty quick.
My brother is getting a degree in horticulture right now so the plan is to open a garden center on Grand Island (Buffalo-Niagara area) that features Japanese gardens and art as well. It seems like a tough time for small businesses right now but I hope we can make it. We'll be importing pottery as well, so there is another excuse to travel and visit Japan periodically. You can read about the details on the Grand Island Serene Gardens website, but it still is a work in progress. I'll be continuing some of the essays I've written on the "Shakuhachi" page, so check it out from time to time.

I also plan to continue teaching and performing there, so later when things are more settled I'll post something in the Dojo section. I have about 10 students here in Nara and will continue teaching some via skype, but it is hard to leave them. I already have some fairly big concerts lined up in Japan for next spring, so hopefully I'll be able to keep my connections with Japan and go back and forth.

I've been busy getting my solo CD "Mahoroba" out there and am currently recording Kurofune's second CD comprised of shakuhachi duets and shakuhachi and synthesizer pieces with Izukawa Hidefumi. We've been on a natinal tour recently and went to Nagoya, Gifu up north to Akita, Yamagata, Fukui etc. This weekend we will go to Tokyo for a national NHK - BS show airing in October. We'll part of a talk show about Nara and shakuhachi as well as perform at the end. That should be fun. Anyway, just wanted to let the shakuhachi community know what I've been up. I look forward to participating in more North American events, and anywhere else really.

#2 2010-09-14 07:21:31

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Moving to the States

Buffalo-Niagara will become a better place for it.  All the best Josh.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2010-09-14 09:18:52

purehappiness

I live in connecticut. I will have to come visit your shop. I love pottery too.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2010-09-14 09:21:47

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Josh, Hope to see you soon.

-Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2010-09-14 10:50:09

Jim Thompson

Josh,
     Good luck on your new plan. I admire your ability to take on so many interesting challenges. I'm sure you'll do well.
            All the best,
                 Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#6 2010-09-14 10:59:23

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks Jim, we definitely do have our work cut out for us. By the way, it was great to meet up at my temple in Nara when you were visiting Japan. I'll have to drop by your neck of the woods some time too, I've never been to California yet. I visited Seattle when my wife, girlfriend at the time, was in university there and really like the west coast. Perry, I'll have to drop by NYC and let you show me around the BIG city, Buffalo is only the Queen city!

#7 2010-09-14 12:05:02

Jim Thompson

Josh,
    I enjoyed very much checking out your "scene".  It's remarkable that you have been able to create that situation for yourself. The people were warm and friendly and had a close, small community feel that made me feel nicely welcomed. I sure you'll have a tear or two over separating from friends.
     If you get out this way, by all means let me know. I love playing tour guide and would be happy to show you whatever you consider the sights.
     Is there a Shingon Temple in Buffalo?
              Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#8 2010-09-14 16:42:16

Jam

Good luck with your move Josh, and best wishes to your father. I hope everything works out smile

#9 2010-09-15 05:16:49

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Good luck with your move back to the states and plans, Josh.  It sounds like you have a lot of interesting shakuhachi related projects going on/being planned for both the U.S.A. and Japan.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2010-09-15 05:18:17)

#10 2010-09-15 09:06:18

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

... Perry, I'll have to drop by NYC and let you show me around the BIG city, Buffalo is only the Queen city!

Of course! I'll get together a group and we'll have fusion Japanese food and play shakuhachi! smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer