Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2007-12-23 12:23:34

rob+kat

Re: Anasazi Flute

The mailman brought me one of the (i think particularly fine) recently made batch early this winter solstice. thank you kat, thank you Mr. Oldman, thank you mailman...
As one of my personal goals is to achive call and response interreaction with actual coyote bands, i am just tickled pink, having wished for just such a pipe for that very purpose.
also seems to be helping rookie level shakuhachi struggles with moving up into kan. certainly wont hurt...for all i know, time could be some sort of trick...
rob aka bob

#27 2008-03-10 21:03:43

cryss

Greetings! New member "cryss" here... I am fairly new to the Anasazi flute but wanted to comment that Scott August is releasing a Signature Series through Geoffrey Ellis of earthtoneflutes.com within the month. Official news will be released in about a week or so, but I am partners in crime with the flute maker and have the inside scoop.

I just joined the forum as I am fairly new to the Shakuhachi but have been slowly learning and collecting world flutes. Since this is now something I am actively pursuing after trying one recently at a flute circle, I figured this forum would be useful for me. I will digress here since this is an Anasazi thread. smile

#28 2008-03-11 17:23:24

Caligium

I am definitely getting one of these for my birthday.

#29 2008-03-19 09:14:14

costademaria
Website

hi, inspired from this post which i was reading once and again i decided to make an experiment.  so i googled the image of anasazi flute and some more info and took precisely  the measures and the relations. 
i had a very light and thin but at the same time dense near root end shakuhachi 2.3A# +30c which i had put in ebay for sale and i decided to experiment on it. so i burned some more holes on it.

from the relations i figured that the 1st,3rd,4rth from the bottom on the shakuhachi are exactly the same place like 2nd,4th,6th from the bottom of the anasazi
so there were left to make 3 holes more only. the first two holes went down and up the 1st hole of the shakuhachi. and the third one went between the 3rd and the 4th. so i finished with one unnecessary hole for the anasazi. from my experience with more complicated native American flutes i knew the unnecessary hole can be closed by a leather stripe. so i did it like this. the back hole i always close by my thumb so there is no need for another stripe to close it even playing like anasazi. what is ore interesting only changing the position of the leather stripe its again back shakuhachi 
and the 2 unnecessary holes are in the middle of 1st & 2nd      and    3rd & 4th  so its very natural to close them with the middle fingers and no open them instead  of using 2 more leather stripes.  the shakuhachi is tuned, the anasazi not to the pentatonic but with some thinking it can be easily done which was not my idea when making it. i only wanted to hear how it sounds.
some other thoughts come about the original ~40 aspect ratio of the anasazi and this one/~30/. we loose the 4rth octave but this is balanced by easy RO and lower octave which i read are difficult with the anasazi. the best i think from this experiment is the possibility to play other flute without changimg the shakuhachi embouchure and the possibility to bend the notes.  now will post also some photos

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#30 2008-03-19 09:23:53

costademaria
Website

here are the photos. as i intend to play more with the tuning the new holes are slightly smaller so you can distinguish them easy at the photos. in fact   one is tune/pentatonic/ and the other 2 are very near. still many things have to be considered making such flute cause the result can be neither this neither that,  which is undesired of course. i will continue exploring this idea of mine, needs time and experimental playing

the photo below shows all the holes open. its not intended of playing like this cause its impossible  to close them all

http://costademaria.googlepages.com/shakuhachianasazihybrid.JPG/shakuhachianasazihybrid-full.JPG

the  photo below shows how with a leather stripe we close  only one hole and the flute  has  anasazi tuning

http://costademaria.googlepages.com/anasazi.JPG/anasazi-full;init:.JPG

the photo below shows how by moving the leather stripe at other hole it becomes again shakuhachi.note that it looks that the flute has more  holes  than shakuhachi. instead of using 2 more leather stripes to close the middle holes  /1 0 1       1  0  1  / we simply use the normal way to hold shakuhachi and close them with the middle fingers  which rest there

http://costademaria.googlepages.com/shakuhachifingering.JPG/shakuhachifingering-full;init:.JPG

the back hole is present where it should be for shakuhachi and the left thumb is  closing it when played as anasazi which is a natural position so there is not any discomfort.

this photo just to compare
http://costademaria.googlepages.com/historic_anasazi.jpg/historic_anasazi-full;init:.jpg

Last edited by costademaria (2008-03-19 09:40:45)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#31 2010-09-18 14:34:58

axolotl
Website

I am resurrecting this thread, as I did get a flute from Coyote Oldman/Michael Graham Allen.  It is a truly wonderful and fearsome beast; I did get the slight shakuhachoid utaguchi cut rather than go fully untweaked.  It's still hard as hell to play, and it's fascinating that the 4th in the lower register is only reached via some tricky meri'ing (to my knowledge.)  When I get a chance, I will call Michael and tell him how much I love the thing.  Michael is a very reasonable and interesting guy. 

I also picked up Peter Phippen's CD, Summerland, on iTunes, and it's an excellent tour of this flute, other NAFs, and shakuhachi.

*edit*  I also notice that playing the Anasazi flute messes up my shakuhachi embouchure for a little while!  Ah, cross-training...

Last edited by axolotl (2010-09-18 14:35:37)

#32 2010-09-18 15:38:56

edosan
Edomologist

Any images'd be welcome and appreciated.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer