Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-27 19:16:01

HarryHansen
Website

Duduk vs Shakuhachi

Here's a clip of the duduk I tried out, before deciding that it was not conducive to shakuhachi playing. See how it makes the cheeks puff out? I'm scared it will destroy my shakuhachi embouchure, so decided not to get one for myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLD8OhRLHg

#2 2010-09-27 22:32:28

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Duduk vs Shakuhachi

I tried to think of and find examples of flute players who play duduk. My first thought was of Omar Faruk Tekbilek, but I see that it's zurna that he plays, not duduk. I see that zurna players also puff out their cheeks though. But really, I don't know how much he really plays it, and it could be identical fingerings to other Middle-Eastern flutes he plays so maybe he doesn't have to practice and just plays occasionally for performances. You seem to be able to get OK sound out of it with only the practice on your borrowed duduk, I think you could probably do the same.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2010-09-28 03:06:05

HarryHansen
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I tried to think of and find examples of flute players who play duduk. My first thought was of Omar Faruk Tekbilek, but I see that it's zurna that he plays, not duduk. I see that zurna players also puff out their cheeks though. But really, I don't know how much he really plays it, and it could be identical fingerings to other Middle-Eastern flutes he plays so maybe he doesn't have to practice and just plays occasionally for performances. You seem to be able to get OK sound out of it with only the practice on your borrowed duduk, I think you could probably do the same.

Thanks.. yeah I think that's a good idea. I can play enough to be able to record what I need, so perhaps that's the best plan. Borrow it to record with occasionally.. I can't own one though, because I can't help but pick it up all the time! haha

#4 2010-09-28 09:10:56

madoherty

Harry,
Have you taken duduk lessons with a qualified teacher?

#5 2010-09-28 13:35:10

HarryHansen
Website

madoherty wrote:

Harry,

No, I watched a youtube clip, and only had the Duduk for a couple of days. Never tried playing one before.

#6 2010-09-29 00:20:18

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Talk about Duduk mak me thinking on guitar.

Les Duduk gut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3VJTiyNBg

Les Paul eqally gut Les Duduk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

Gorge Torogood beter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXMAOgEIq4

Gorge Harison vary beter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

Satana vary wurst way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BrLEuzV … re=related

Stev Vai BEST WAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggR … re=related

Last edited by Horst Xenmeister (2010-09-29 00:21:27)

i am horst

#7 2010-09-29 08:28:04

edosan
Edomologist

fouw wrote:

Horst, Gorge does not play a real Gitarre, that's a small Edo stringed instrument from Hawaii, does not fit your list yikes

Hey, Kees, don't be a party-pooper...

We LOVE you Horst.

Don't EVER change, baby!!!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2010-09-29 08:56:23

Moran from Planet X
Website

I have a Duduk contact in Armenia who will sell me rare Edo Period Duduk. Prices start in the low ten thousands (American dollars of course, they aren'y worth as much in Armenia). But I've been assured that they are true antique Edo period Duduk played by Armenian Shogon. I can get you one if you PayPal me $8,999 USD.

I get them at discount from famous Armenian Edo Period Duduk expert by the name of Zukurani Tukht,  It'll only take a few months to find one in the deep interior secret Zen temples of Armenia. But Payment has to be upfront. Western Union preferred.

Horst can order one too. Price is only $17,999.oo It is Extra Special Edo Armenian Duduk played once by Hav Hinad Em, an Armenian Edo Period VIP, with special horse hair bindings and a double hanko from Zukurani.

Call me.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#9 2010-09-29 14:52:36

HarryHansen
Website

When did this turn into "the joke thread"?

#10 2010-09-29 17:02:39

edosan
Edomologist

HarryHansen wrote:

When did this turn into "the joke thread"?

Horst is an institution around here.

Knock him at your peril...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2010-09-29 17:16:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

Horst, Gorge does not play a real Gitarre, that's a small Edo stringed instrument from Hawaii, does not fit your list yikes

Here we go again.....Dutch vs. German, lederhosen vs. Wooden shoes, sauerkraut vs. Neuew herring. Will it never end? smile

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#12 2010-09-29 18:54:11

radi0gnome
Website

madoherty wrote:

Harry,

How do you find a qualified teacher for duduk? Is it possible to determine qualifications for an instrument that is pretty much strictly a folk instrument? Apparently there are some players that got very good at it and have recently brought it into a sophisticated "classical" role mostly in movie soundtracks, but without a standard classical repertoire it's very hard to say who is a qualified teacher.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2010-09-29 20:10:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Charles methinks MAD was making a facetious jibe at the "must have a teacher" scoldings that are so frequently handed out here.

Now go out and get some lessons!

#14 2010-09-29 21:17:56

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I had a duduk once. Really cool. Did NOT interfere with shakuhachi & flute playing. Its just a matter of practicing ;-).

#15 2010-09-29 21:19:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

geni wrote:

I had a duduk once. Really cool. Did NOT interfere with shakuhachi & flute playing. Its just a matter of practicing ;-).

Yes but you are Armenian, so it comes naturally to you. cool

#16 2010-09-29 21:47:41

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

dude. I am Albanian. But, i know some armenians around here (MA)

#17 2010-09-30 15:54:19

madoherty

Qualified teacher equals, more or less, a master.  I.E. Gevorg Dabaghyan, Djivan Gasparyan, etc.  A lot of movie soundtracks, TV, and video games, are played by a man named Chris Bleth who learned from Djivan Gasparyan.  I played Duduk for a long time before shakuhachi.  It took years to get the broad sound that is so cherished - I am not talking about just noodling around.  It is a folk instrument that has found its way into the main-stream and University settings.  Gevorg Dabaghyan teaches duduk at the Hayastan University in Yerevan.  There are other teachers, in California, and I have taught duduk as well in the past.  As long as there is a tradition and techniques, there is something to be taught - duduk is full of them.

My duduk embouchure was sculpted to the point of not allowing for any deviations - very strong muscles developed to nurture that sound into existence.  I could not master both instruments, though I practice both extensively (and many other by the by).  In the end my shakuhachi lips would win out because my heart belongs with it.  Though, I will admit that my experience with other world woodwinds (specifically the Armenian bloul and the Turkish ney) has helped me to develop a unique sound on shakuhachi (not sure if this is embouchure related specifically, or if it is the sound/fell that I liked). 

I asked Harry about his education because the techniques he exhibited were demonstrative not of an Armenian duduk but that of a Turkish mey - a related instrument.  ONe major problem with duduk playing outside of Armenia is that there is so much mis-information out there - and crappy instruments (So many 100% authentic professional "best" out there! - btw, they are all crap)- that it makes learning nearly impossible.

You want to learn duduk, or get a quality one, I would be glad to show you the direction to go.

#18 2010-09-30 19:43:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Michael, see this is what it's about. I used to "dabble" in all kinds of "world instruments" but I don't do that much anymore because of what I've learned from studying shakuhachi. Most of them have a few natural ideas that will come to any decent musician but after that...........

#19 2010-10-01 23:08:57

Yu-Jin

At last LOL smile))
I have duduk which I play sometimes. Once I ran into discussion about shakuhachi on Armenian music forum. Now it's time for shakuhachi players to strike back smile)

Board footer