Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-04 02:51:56

HarryHansen
Website

Wax to lubricate and seal nakatsuki?

I did a search on this subject, and didn't find anything.

Is there any reason not us rub on a very small amount of bees wax, to the nakatsuki? It seals it very effectively, and takes away most of the stress cause by separating the flute into two parts.

Thanks!

HH

#2 2010-10-04 08:52:23

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Wax to lubricate and seal nakatsuki?

HarryHansen wrote:

I did a search on this subject, and didn't find anything.

Is there any reason not us rub on a very small amount of bees wax, to the nakatsuki? It seals it very effectively, and takes away most of the stress cause by separating the flute into two parts.

Thanks!

HH

It's generally a good idea to put a little something there, for a bit of lubricant, and to enhance the air seal. Beeswax is dandy, but a more common application is hair pomade (I use Paul Mitchell on mine smile ).

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-10-04 10:22:54

Jim Thompson

If I'm missing something here please straighten me out but my understanding is that bees wax is the opposite of a lubricant. You would put lubricant on a joint that is too tight. Bees wax, on the other hand, you put on a joint that is too loose. I've had joints that were too loose and I put too much bees wax on and had a very hard time getting the flute apart again. I've learned to use it sparingly.  There seems to be some confusion about this because I hear people lumping bees wax in with lubricants all the time and I'm afraid this could  be very misleading. I'm talking about straight pure bees wax, not some ointment with bees wax in it.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2010-10-04 10:28:51

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

If I'm missing something here please straighten me out but my understanding is that bees wax is the opposite of a lubricant. You would put lubricant on a joint that is too tight. Bees wax, on the other hand, you put on a joint that is too loose. I've had joints that were too loose and I put too much bees wax on and had a very hard time getting the flute apart again. I've learned to use it sparingly.  There seems to be some confusion about this because I hear people lumping bees wax in with lubricants all the time and I'm afraid this could  be very misleading. I'm talking about straight pure bees wax, not some ointment with bees wax in it.

Good point. Although straight beeswax wouldn't be my first choice (or last, for that matter), it might be considered a very s-l-o-w lubricant...

Hair pomade is great, because it's viscous enough to tend to hold the joint together, still easy to separate the joint, and easy to clean up.

Some of it smells lovely, too  smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#5 2010-10-04 10:49:11

Jim Thompson

Ed'O'pal,
     Not to be argumentative, but what the hell is a slow lubricant?  If you put a ton of beeswax on a joint you might not get the flute apart without machinery or damage. How is that a lubricant fast or slow? It will certainly seal the joint but I see no lubricating properties whatsoever. Am I mistaken?
             J.

#6 2010-10-04 10:57:37

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

Ed'O'pal,
     Not to be argumentative, but what the hell is a slow lubricant?  If you put a ton of beeswax on a joint you might not get the flute apart without machinery or damage. How is that a lubricant fast or slow? It will certainly seal the joint but I see no lubricating properties whatsoever. Am I mistaken?
             J.

No, you're just weak....

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#7 2010-10-04 11:00:41

lowonthetotem
Website

Not sure if you are talking about a joint on a shakuhachi, but teflon tape (thread tape) works well to tighten joints.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#8 2010-10-04 11:09:06

Jim Thompson

Lowonthetotempole, thanks for your constructive and accurate input. Now Ed-I can see your point. Maybe I'm allergic to beeswax and it's sapping my strength. I hadn't considered that.

#9 2010-10-04 14:27:07

HarryHansen
Website

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to tighten the joint, just to lubricate it. I have little blocks of pure beeswax which I rubbed on the joint. It certainly does lubricate well, because it eliminates the friction of the two surfaces.
Ed-Pomade seems like a great idea. The main concern I had with beeswax, was that it may be hard to clean off, but pomade would be perfect.
Thanks!
HH

#10 2010-11-14 22:52:10

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I use cork grease for woodwind instruments. A bit thicker than hair pomade so it lasts longer.

Board footer