World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-12 17:34:13

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Place to stay in Toronto?

Does anybody here on the forum know a good place to stay, which is convenient to the downtown campus of the University of Toronto, at the Munk School of Global Affairs, 1 Devonshire place?

I have to stay there a whole week (well almost) and it would be nice to stay somewhere a bit cheaper than what the conference is suggesting...

Thanks! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2010-10-13 00:45:31

sokyoku
Website

Re: Place to stay in Toronto?

Most of the hotels in that area are very expensive.  However, the University Women's Club of Toronto is on the downtown U of T campus, in walking distance of where you'll be.  You can check out their affordable rates on their site here - http://www.uwconbloor.com/bedbreakfast.html.  There are also some nice, positive reviews on Google's listing for it here - http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?cid=11 … AWDnOmzCg. 

There are some B&Bs in the area, of varying qualities.  Here's one close to your venue that seems to have good reviews - A Bed & Breakfast at Beverly Place, http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?cid=14 … gS0-_HcCw.  And you can check others at one of Toronto's B&B websites here - http://www.bnbinfo.com.

Hope that helps!

Without music, life would be a mistake.

#3 2010-10-13 10:13:35

Kiku Day
Website

Hi Sokyoku

That is really nice of you! Thanks for the info!
The thing is, it can be very difficult to know information about places to stay in your own city as you don't need it.
I will have a look at the places you have recommended after my concert tonight here in London.

Perhaps we can meet up for a coffee as well! That would be nice! smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2010-10-13 16:27:04

sokyoku
Website

Happy to help.  Feel free to let me know if you have more questions about the above any other places you find on your own in the area.  And if our schedules permit, sure, coffee/tea would be great - maybe we can fgure that out by email or PM.

Good luck with your concert (which is probably underway as I write this...).  Hope the audience was appreciative! :-)

#5 2010-10-13 18:08:26

Kiku Day
Website

Ok, I will email you.
Concert or rather the talk/concert went well. A new concept for me to do a powerpoint presentation, live music and talk at the same time. People seemed to like it. smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2010-10-19 14:34:09

sokyoku
Website

Glad to hear your gig was a success.  I've done the live music/talk thing a few times, but my "technology" only went as fas as overhead projector (because people like pictures 'n' charts 'n' things  with their lectures smile ).  Never used powerpoint yet - don't know how to use it, actually, although it would probably be a good idea to learn one day.

So, are you performing at the Monk School (if you don't mind my asking)?  I was curious, so I checked their site today (the main one and the Asian Institute) but couldn't find anything that mentioned you...

Board footer