Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-18 16:08:54

VanillaMoose

My new Shakuhachi...

Hi guys, I hope you knowledgeable folk might be able to help me out. I've recently aquired a Shakuhachi flute and  I'm curious as to whether you can tell me anything about it including if it might be worth anything. As I'm a total novice I have no idea if it is a traditional flute or something more mass produced (even though I believe bamboo flutes can't be mass produced as they are all individual...correct me if i'm wrong).  I'm not interested in selling it as it's a wonderful instrument but would like to know if it has any value and if it was made in Japan (I don't know if you can tell this from photos!)

There are some images of it here... http://img691.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img00041h.jpg (apologies if external links are disallowed)

Thanks for reading.

p.s. It also has a lovely protective fabric case (silk I think) decorated with a sewn red and orange momiji leaf pattern.

Ken

Last edited by VanillaMoose (2010-10-18 16:33:54)

#2 2010-10-18 16:59:32

Christopher B.
Website

Re: My new Shakuhachi...

Hm I cant say much, judging a flute with just pictures isnt possible. Does the flute has a hanko?  If it is so, maybe someone can say you something about the maker. Its has a Tozan Inlay and looks like a Jiari but the pictures are not so well.

You should ask your teacher or someone who as more practice to tell you if it is good or not.

Be well,

Last edited by Christopher B. (2010-10-18 17:01:14)

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#3 2010-10-19 04:23:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It looks like a Japanese hand made Tozan shakuhachi with some repairs. Does not look very old but could be anytime within the last 50 years. Probably not worth very much but hard to tell without playing it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-10-19 16:48:56

radi0gnome
Website

The bottom node doesn't have the right number of roots for typical Japanese aesthetics. I think it's supposed to have 32. My thought is that a piece of bamboo that doesn't fit that aesthetic isn't going to have as much effort put into making it a great playing instrument because the Japanese sale value is already diminished before starting the work.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2010-10-19 19:30:21

No-sword
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

My thought is that a piece of bamboo that doesn't fit that aesthetic isn't going to have as much effort put into making it a great playing instrument because the Japanese sale value is already diminished before starting the work.

I would disagree with this, a bit. It's true that it doesn't look like something a maker would try to sell for a high price on the open market. But it might have been made by a teacher, for a student, in which case it might have been tuned very carefully and well (w/r/t the tradition the teacher is transmitting, of course), with the superficial flaws ignored.

Last edited by No-sword (2010-10-19 19:33:40)

Matt / no-sword.jp

#6 2010-10-19 21:30:42

Moran from Planet X
Website

Christopher B. wrote:

Does the flute has a hanko?

Just say it's a rare Tozan Kindo and sell it on the forum for $32,000.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2010-10-19 23:25:28

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

its hard to tell without playing it. But, how much you payed for it? Where did you buy it from? With shakuhachi there are no deals most of the time ;-)

#8 2010-10-19 23:41:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Moose ignore some of the knobs up here there. They are having in jokes.

When I said not worth very much I meant not likely to be a very collectible item, however depending upon how much you paid, it could be a bargain.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2010-10-19 23:47:33

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Moose ignore some of the knobs up here there.

I beg to differ with you.

Geni is not a knob.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer