You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-20 12:40:45

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Akikazu Nakamura New York City workshop Oct 24th

Hi All,
Akikazu Nakamura, one of the modern virtuosos of the shakuhachi, will be leading a workshop on breathing in New York City this Sunday, Oct 24th.

See here:
http://www.japansociety.org/calendar

From the Calender:

Learn from Akikazu Nakamura, a master of the shakuhachi method pioneered long ago by traveling Zen monks. Participants will be introduced to missoku, the Japanese breathing technique once practiced by these monks in music and meditation. Nakamura, who trained with shakuhachi master Katsuya Yokoyama, will follow the missoku  workshop with a master class for shakuhachi players.

TICKETS
Missoku Workshop only:
$15 / $10 Japan Society members

(notice the cost!)

I studied with Akikazu for six months in Tokyo and highly recommend attending. This workshop is a must for anyone interested in how one master approaches blowing the shakuhachi.

See you there!

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2010-10-20 12:44:28

Kohl
Website

Re: Akikazu Nakamura New York City workshop Oct 24th

I'll see you there. Looking forward to it.

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#3 2010-10-21 09:25:11

Rick Riekert

Perry, thanks for the heads up. I've been working hard and can use a breather. Hope to see you there.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#4 2010-10-21 11:22:10

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Rick Riekert wrote:

Perry, thanks for the heads up. I've been working hard and can use a breather. Hope to see you there.

Hi Rick (and eevryone),

Was that a pun? smile The Missoku Breathing workshop is for anyone. The shakuhachi Master class is after at 4:45pm ( $35, what a bargain!) . I'll be at both. Yes see you there!

The original reason Akikazu is in town is for a performance for a screening of a silent film he composed for. It will take place at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) Saturday eve:

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film … ings/10586

From the website:
Long believed lost, Kinugasa’s Kurutta Ippeiji (A Page of Madness)  (1926) is a masterpiece of Japanese silent cinema and truly unlike any other film ever made, using a breathtaking array of avant-garde, expressionist, and surrealist filmmaking techniques to evoke the madness of patients in a mental hospital—their nightmares and hallucinations, but also an inner life of serenity and beauty. The centerpiece of this year’s festival is the world premiere of an original score performed live by the Ensemble N_JP (Japan/United States), under the direction of the award-winning composer and bass clarinetist Gene Coleman and featuring the master shakuhachi player and composer Akikazu Nakamura; the koto player Toshiko Kuto; the cellist Alex Waterman; the contra bassist Evan Lipson; and the conductor Rei Hotoda, an assistant conductor of the Dallas Symphony. Commissioned by the International House Philadelphia, where it will be presented the night before the MoMA performance, and supported by the Japan Foundation, the score also features benshi-style narration (spoken text in Japanese and English). The film’s scenario was co-written by Yasunari Kawabata, the Nobel Prize–winning author of The Izu Dancer and Snow Country.

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-10-22 12:35:14)

#5 2010-10-21 11:39:57

Rick Riekert

Yungflutes wrote:

Was that a pun?

Yes indeed. I agree with Doug Larson that a pun is the lowest form of humor- unless it's your own.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#6 2010-10-22 12:36:59

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

For those considering the MoMa performance, it is on Saturday eve, not Friday as I originally posted.  My apologies. - Perry

Board footer