World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-20 10:50:00

Josh
PhD
Website

The Change Jar

As I work on building a website for the Japanese garden center/boutique/culture center (http://www.grand-island-serene-gardens.com/) I've been learning about SEOs etc. The forum may get in trouble for saying it themselves, but if people want to help out the forum and donate a little, take a look at some of the ads above this message. You don't even have to look if you don't care, JUST CLICK on them! One SEO guy I came across said that he always sees the google ads as a change jar. If he enjoyed the site he would click through a couple of them and basically leave a tip. Of course it's only pennies, but those pennies add up and really do help keep this great forum running smoothly. Ads can be annoying, but this seems like a quick, fairly uncomplicated way to just say thanks for organizing our community.
Leave a Tip Today!

#2 2010-10-20 12:09:08

Jim Thompson

Re: The Change Jar

Josh,
   Thanks for the tip on clicking  the ads. I hope everybody picks up on this. What a great way to support the forum at no cost and absolute minimum effort. Commence clicking!

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#3 2010-10-20 16:06:31

airin
Website

Josh, thanks for explaining about the benefits of clicking on the ads. I didn't realize that and will now be more inclined to check out an ad whereas I pointedly avoided them in the past.

#4 2010-10-20 18:03:05

MikeL

I had no idea that there were ads on the forum. I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus "add-on"

Every time I see someone looking at sites that I frequent, and they do not have Adblock, I
am amazed to see what a different experience it is. Things dancing around the screen, blinking,
commercials that you have to sit through to see the content.

There must be a way to add an exception to Adblock, I've never had a reason to consider
it before. I'll have a look at it.

Last edited by MikeL (2010-10-20 18:12:40)

#5 2010-10-20 19:22:09

Josh
PhD
Website

I've never paid much attention to it before either. My father even thought that they were something you would have to give and email or personal info, but they are really not invasive at all. They do a pretty good job matching content, like when Mejiro is up there, but I kind of like the ads for Grills and BBQ sets myself, seeing as how we are the Shakuhachi BBQ wink

#6 2010-10-20 20:09:26

madoherty

FYI.
On the flip-side, each time you click those advertisers get charged.

#7 2010-10-25 13:47:03

MikeL

I did have a look at Adblock Plus, and it's really easy to make it not filter ads for
just the shakuhachiforum.

Just right click the red "ABP" icon in the upper right of the browser.
Then there's a checkbox that you can click to make it not filter adds for just
the forum.

The icon turns green.

If you leave the forum for another site, or open up other tabs the ad blocking
is still enabled for the new sites and tabs.

You can also click a checkbox to entirely disable Adblock or to turn it back
on if you have it disabled.

If you use Firefox for your web browser look into Adblock Plus. It's free, and you
will probably love it.

- Mike

Last edited by MikeL (2010-10-25 19:40:53)

#8 2010-10-25 15:13:36

Ambi

WoW: Just tried turning off Adblock+ as Mike suggested (agree 100%) - first offer was for a two week residential intensive course to qualify as a Rinzai Zen "midfullness" teacher.

Not sure whether to be impressed or frightened, Google truly is our fiend.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

Board footer