Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-29 13:49:19

nofun

Greetings from Finland!

Hello everyone! こんにちは! Terve!

I've finally decided to break the silence, emerge from the shadows where I have been lurking for a way too long time and make my first post.

My name is Erkki and I've been playing shakuhachi for 2,5 years now. I picked it up while spending a year as an exchange student in Hokkaido University. Before that time I was only vaguely aware that such a beautiful sounding instrument existed. For a few years I had been planning on starting with the silver flute but I never got around doing that for various reasons. After few of my Finnish friends started playing koto I wondered if I could find a japanese instrument that would fit my interests better (having played bass and guitar for several years string instruments didnt really do it for me) and more importantly, could take back home with me a bit easier. 

So, a mutual friend introduced me to Sugawara Kuniyoshi from whom I purchased a Yuu and his practice book. The lessons I took from him before coming back to Finland got me started, covering basic sound production and techniques. After that it took me almost two years to have another proper lesson. I didn't stop playing but trying to figure out more advanced stuff by yourself, having no one around to give constructive critique on the sound and how you produce it or even anyone to talk about shakuhachi was somewhat taxing. I was sure that there must a  least a few other players around somewhere but didn't really have a way of contacting anyone. It seems that there was one very active finnish member on the forums at one point but unfortunately he didn't reply to my messages. Time went by. Luckily I kept my eyes open and saw a notice about a workshop to be held in Helsinki in June. I seized the moment and rather uncharacteristically joined the workshop without a second thought, which I consider to be one of the best things I've ever done. I met a wonderful group of Finnish shakuhachi players and Gunnar Jinmei Linder who introduced me to the fascinating world of honkyoku. After a few preparatory lessons on basic ornamental honkyoku techniques I was already blowing along to the not-too-beginner-friendly and heavy Kinko pieces like Yûgure no kyoku and Shika no tône. Nothing like a good challenge that really forces you to put everything you got into what you're doing : )

Recharged and full of motivation I started practicing more than I used to and with a sense of direction which I didn't really have before. I attended my second workshop couple of weeks ago with the same group. They said that my playing had improved a lot between the workshops which I was very happy to hear and proves that hard work does pay off : )  The yuu is still the only instrument I have and plays very nicely but I'm really looking forward to the day when I have enough money saved to buy a proper bamboo one. One good reason more to graduate and start working as soon as possible ^^

So that's my shakuhachi story so far. Hoping very sincerely to continue it as a part of this worldwide online community (...in a slightly more active manner...)

Yoroshiku.

- Erkki -

#2 2010-10-29 14:32:17

airin
Website

Re: Greetings from Finland!

Welcome to the forum Erkki!

Very inspiring story of how you stuck to practicing on your Yuu even though you were relatively isolated.  Of course, in the digital age, one is never totally isolated and can always find a shakuhachi connection via the internet, as you have already found to be the case here in the BBQ.

Looking forward to reading more about your discoveries and progress with the flute.

#3 2010-10-29 15:01:18

edosan
Edomologist

Welcome, Erkki!

Loved your story.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2010-10-29 23:30:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yet another bassist/shakuhachi player, rock on! Welcome to the forum. I played shakuhachi at your museum in Finland a few years back, it was great. Then I ate some bear at a Russian restaurant. Yum.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2011-02-01 00:00:25

askarp

Hi Erkki and others!

I'm also from Finland (Oulu, in northern part). I just got my first touch on the shakuhachi two day ago in my friends place and immediately ordered one Yuu for myself too. I really liked the sound, the look and the feel of the instrument. I have some background on some wind instruments (harmonica, trumpet, didgeridoo, pan pipes) and I also sing in a band. I'm looking forward of getting to know this new instrument. So there are now two of us in Oulu and I know of third person from here currently living in Japan who plays shakuhachi.

Just wanted to say hi, and looking forward on discussions and resources you have here to help a beginner to start the path.. smile

#6 2011-02-01 04:03:28

Niklas

Board footer