Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-09-27 08:01:56

Jivanmukta

Hello from Norwegian Beginner :-)

Hello, I think its about time to introduce myself after having frequented this forum for 6 months.

I bought a bauhaus pvc shaku in february, it stayed motionless until I took it to Greece for 2 weeks on the beach in may.
Since I managed to create sounds I thought I should go further and take lessons. I started with Michael Gould and also attended the Shakuhachi festival in Prague.
I got my first proper flute in real bamboo last week and will continue to take classes and practice. I also have two Yuus, one at home and one in my office.

My previous background in music is zero, only limited to being a listener, so its very exciting to learn to produce not only sound but even music.....
My wife has been very supportive until last saturday when she (30 minutes into my practice) asked if maybe I could continue my attempts at KAN in another room.
Well, she lives here to....

I am a landscape ecologist/planner by education and also yoga/meditation practitioner and teacher. I was teaching yoga and running my own yoga centre for 8 yrs. Now I plan new railroads as profession, yoga and meditation is back to being my personal practice as is the shakuhachi playing.

I have very little access to teachers, but was happy to have one private class with Kiku Day when she was in Norway last week for concerts.
But I am very grateful that Michael is teaching me and pray that his patience will last :-)
It feels almost embarrasing to be such a beginner with that level of teacher.
Anyway, it encourages me to practice more as we are coming closer to the next skype lession.
And yes, Michael seems to be a patient man

I live in the forrest outside Oslo, and we do hear the distant calls of the deer very often :-)
Today is a beautiful autumn day, sunny and crisp with leaves changing colour. I am happy to be able to work from home and practice a bit in the breaks...

So I hope for everyone to be at peace and at ease and all the worlds to be happy!

Thanks for reading.
Jarle Jivanmukta

PS: If someone know of shakuplayers in Norway I will be happy to know....

Talk less - do more

#2 2010-09-27 11:56:23

Jam

Re: Hello from Norwegian Beginner :-)

Welcome to the forum mate! Where you live sounds lovely. Keep blowing smile

#3 2010-09-27 17:40:00

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hej Jarle

Dejligt at se dig her! Håber at se dig i diskussionerne... ja også i levende live enten i Norge eller i Danmark!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2010-09-28 02:14:09

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Welcome to the forum.

My favorite restaurant in Oslo.

http://www.engebret-cafe.no/hXGYym2tnIXL.26.idium

My buddy in Oslo.

http://www.pushwagner.no/

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2010-09-28 09:47:39

airin
Website

Hello Jarle.  Welcome to the life of a shakuhachi beginner - I know it well and with Michael as my teacher also I can vouch for his patience and skill in teaching shakuhachi newbies.

#6 2010-09-28 12:53:33

Jivanmukta

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

My favorite restaurant in Oslo.

http://www.engebret-cafe.no/hXGYym2tnIXL.26.idium

My buddy in Oslo.

http://www.pushwagner.no/

Let me know if you come back to Oslo, I think you even played here didn't you?......
I remember Pushagner from the old days, the more dodgy parts of Oslo subculture.
You propably know that he had a revival and seems to be much in fashion among the Bourgeoisie these days. Quite a character Pushwagner, indeed.
I'm glad to see he is good, it wasn't always so.

By the way, who administrated me an avatar????

Talk less - do more

#7 2010-09-28 15:15:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

When I met Pushwagner he was living in an empty, unheated room with a mattress and some painting supplies, nothing else. Glad to hear he's popular now! I have not seen him for about 4 years.

The forum has an avatarbot that assigns avatars to the avatar-deprived, but it seems like you have now put up your own! Cool.

#8 2010-09-28 17:48:40

Jivanmukta

http://www.newsinenglish.no/News/pushwagner.html
http://www.newsinenglish.no/News/pushwagner2.html

a lot of really nice pictures here: http://www.pushwagner.no/?id=2&lang=2

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

When I met Pushwagner he was living in an empty, unheated room with a mattress and some painting supplies, nothing else. Glad to hear he's popular now! I have not seen him for about 4 years.

The forum has an avatarbot that assigns avatars to the avatar-deprived, but it seems like you have now put up your own! Cool.

Last edited by Jivanmukta (2010-09-28 17:49:51)

Talk less - do more

#9 2010-09-30 09:19:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jarle!, Welcome to the Forum.

Jivanmukta wrote:

I am a landscape ecologist/planner by education and also yoga/meditation practitioner and teacher. I was teaching yoga and running my own yoga centre for 8 yrs. Now I plan new railroads as profession, yoga and meditation is back to being my personal practice as is the shakuhachi playing.

I have been practicing Yoga on and off since 1981. Last month, I played the shakuhachi for the first time in a  class right during Savasana. I've never been so mindful of my sound. The teacher was great. My favorite quote from that particular class went something like, "...we must be mindful of our path as we embark on the journey into stillness. Learn how to control your bodies. When you accomplish that, you can control your actions and in turn infuence your life, your family, your friends...the govenrment".

I live in the forrest outside Oslo, and we do hear the distant calls of the deer very often :-)

I'm sure you will learn the language of the deers through your teacher and fine new flute.

Today is a beautiful autumn day, sunny and crisp with leaves changing colour. I am happy to be able to work from home and practice a bit in the breaks...

Me too!
Namaste,  - Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-09-30 09:31:57)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#10 2010-09-30 16:57:20

Jivanmukta

Thanks for the welcomings,
and Perry, thanks for being quick with bindings on my flute.

Talk less - do more

#11 2010-09-30 20:05:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jivanmukta wrote:

I remember Pushagner from the old days, the more dodgy parts of Oslo subculture.
You propably know that he had a revival and seems to be much in fashion among the Bourgeoisie these days. Quite a character Pushwagner, indeed.
I'm glad to see he is good, it wasn't always so.

Here is a portrait Push did of me.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/PushwagnerBRPic3.jpg

#12 2010-10-01 10:14:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Jivanmukta wrote:

Thanks for the welcomings,
and Perry, thanks for being quick with bindings on my flute.

It was a pleasure!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#13 2010-10-08 04:08:52

Jivanmukta

Erin, I forgot to write that your blog has been very helpful!

The interviews with various teachers is very interesting and also how you write about the various challenges a beginner face. I read a lot your postings there this spring when I had not really taken up my own practice, and to day I went back and looked around in your blog.

One question: What equipment do you use to record yourself? I tried a little bit of recording with my laptop microphone, but I think it must be a better way (and still cheap(?)).

My recording on the laptop sounds horrible! And surely it cannot be the playing, it must the equipment :-)

Jarle

airin wrote:

Hello Jarle.  Welcome to the life of a shakuhachi beginner - I know it well and with Michael as my teacher also I can vouch for his patience and skill in teaching shakuhachi newbies.

Talk less - do more

#14 2010-10-08 08:31:32

radi0gnome
Website

Jivanmukta wrote:

One question: What equipment do you use to record yourself? I tried a little bit of recording with my laptop microphone, but I think it must be a better way (and still cheap(?)).

Do you have an MP3 player? A lot of them have a recorder on them that works well. I have a Sansa E280 with one, it's almost too easy to record stuff. Record (mine is just a touch of a button on the side of the player), plug it into the computer (I use MSC mode on the player so it looks like a storage device to the computer), find your music (mine ends up in a "recordings" folder with a cryptic name), and move it to your computer.   

My cell phone has a recorder on it too, but I haven't tried it yet. That could be something else to look into for a simple MP3 recorder on the cheap.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#15 2010-10-08 13:11:12

airin
Website

Jarle, I'm glad you find my blog of some interest to you. It's aim is to record my own beginning steps on the bamboo path and, as a result, it may be of some use, if only a comfort, to others starting out with the shakuhachi.

As for recording, on the recommendation of several other forum members, I purchased a 'Blue Snowball' usb mic and find it works very well for recording the shakuhachi and also it has become my main mic for my Skype lessons.  In addition, just to check my own playing every now and then, I like to use the built in mic on my ipod Touch.  This device is so portable and convenient to use and has offers surprisingly good sound quality for such a small handheld.

#16 2010-10-15 04:43:55

Jivanmukta

Thanks for this tip, after googleing around abit, I ended up buying a blue microphone, and it was a great improvement to the laptop mike, I am sure Michael will be happy with that as well.

J

airin wrote:

Jarle, I'm glad you find my blog of some interest to you. It's aim is to record my own beginning steps on the bamboo path and, as a result, it may be of some use, if only a comfort, to others starting out with the shakuhachi.

As for recording, on the recommendation of several other forum members, I purchased a 'Blue Snowball' usb mic and find it works very well for recording the shakuhachi and also it has become my main mic for my Skype lessons.  In addition, just to check my own playing every now and then, I like to use the built in mic on my ipod Touch.  This device is so portable and convenient to use and has offers surprisingly good sound quality for such a small handheld.

Last edited by Jivanmukta (2010-10-15 05:48:37)

Talk less - do more

#17 2010-11-15 03:48:49

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
  Welcome to the forum. We're a nutty and crazy bunch so I hope you enjoy it smile

Board footer