World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-10-06 16:07:10

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Conference on online shakuhachi community

I am doing a demonstration on online shakuhachi communities at a conference at University of Toronto 11 - 14 November 2010.
The conference title is: DIY Citizenship: Critical Making and Social Media. I am co-presenting with Margaret Lam who is studying information science and media (which is the theme of the conference).
http://diycitizenship.com

In relation to this I wanted to ask you if anybody would be willing to be interviewed about their relationship with the online shakuhachi community on skype? Not anything serious... just own personal history about how you got there, how did you meet the shakuhachi and how did you find the online forum and what do you use it for etc. We want to do it on Skype because we will put together a digital display (video) that can be shown several times. That means the interview will be recorded. The video will be used at this conference at probably also at an ethnomusicology conference in England in spring 2011.

Also at the conference we will be doing some live demo Skype lessons. 12,13, 14 Nov between 12:30 and 2 pm local time in Toronto. Anybody wanting a free demo lesson. Probably not a very good lesson. It might be noisy... I might not be so focused... but it could be fun.

smile smile smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2010-10-06 16:47:05

airin
Website

Re: Conference on online shakuhachi community

Kiku, I'd be interested in participating in the Skype demo lessons.  You know I'm a big fan of Skype lessons!

I'll email you off the forum for more details.

#3 2010-10-06 16:53:11

Kiku Day
Website

airin wrote:

Kiku, I'd be interested in participating in the Skype demo lessons.  You know I'm a big fan of Skype lessons!

I'll email you off the forum for more details.

Airin, it will be LOVELY to do a demo with you!!! Thanks!

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2010-10-08 01:02:58

cy23
Website

Hi Kiku,
i can help out with discussion/interview if time is ok. I am software developer in real life but very critical on social webapps these days. While I enjoy reading the stuff here or on FB, I still refuse skype lessons.
If that helps, I am available.
Cheers,
Christian

#5 2010-10-08 01:24:19

Kiku Day
Website

Christian,

I'd love to have your take on on social web applications and skype lessons. I think it will be important to have that aspect included as well. So thank you for posting. I will email you.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2010-10-08 08:17:45

Jivanmukta

I'm in if it can be useful.

Jarle

Talk less - do more

#7 2010-10-08 09:14:33

Christopher B.
Website

Will be with you if we find the time. Anyways seems like a nice projekt.

Be well,

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#8 2010-10-15 14:20:34

Christopher B.
Website

Just wanted to let ya all know that Skype has group conference now. So it would be easy to meet up in groups now. Till now I didnt tryed it but I will check it out in a few days. Time for Shaku BBQ on Skype tongue

#9 2010-11-01 09:47:34

Kiku Day
Website

Thank you to everybody who responded positively to my request interviewing and recording Skype lessons.
I had so many positive answers that I did not manage to do all who replied. But as I suspect I will continue researching I may contact you later. For now, we are working on the video project for the conference in Canada next week.

So thank you all - both those who did the interviews and those I never got around to do interviews!

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#10 2010-11-02 07:27:44

cy23
Website

Cool its progressing. Hope there is a chance to view the outcome afterwards.
Best regards,
Christian

#11 2010-11-06 09:22:46

Kiku Day
Website

cy23 wrote:

Cool its progressing. Hope there is a chance to view the outcome afterwards.
Best regards,
Christian

Hi Christian

It certainly is progressing. It is very interesting to work with music/shakuhachi in a little different field...
We probably will not finish anything worth showing before April. After that I certainly hope we have something to show. smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#12 2010-11-19 05:02:47

Kiku Day
Website

The pilot project of looking at skype lessons and the shakuhachi community online was great! Again thank you to all who participated and also to the ones I never got around to talk with. This project will continue, so hopefully I will get around to as many as possible in the near future.

The conference was called DIY Citizenship: Critical making and social media was a conference held by the faculty of Information, University of Toronto. http://diycitizenship.com/

I worked with Margaret Lam, who is a student of the Faculty of Information. We had a kind of presentation that was like an installation in the art museum and the space during the conference was called "the Hack Space".

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/IMG_5691.jpg http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/IMG_5696.jpg
The space we occupied in "the Hack Space" and the view of some the others

People exhibited their creations which had something to do with online communities. There were some extremely creative interactive digital "things" exhibited. I was very happy to be there.
Margaret and i edited the interviews I conducted into themes: 1) online community; 2) Teaching pedagogy and methods; 3) Opinions. These were organised so people could have a look on the two screens provided and click on the themes they were interested in. Excerpts from Skype lessons were added as well.

We also did live skype lessons, which was very popular and people were amazed when they realised he persons were in Vancover and Berlin. Thanks to Erin and Chris for agreeing to be my guinia pigs!!!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/IMG_5707.jpg
Skype lesson with Chris (Ōshūsaji)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/Kikuday1/IMG_5722.jpg
Skype lesson with Erin (Sokkan)

I am hoping to look more into the online world of music - not only shakuhachi. The digital media is very interesting and a whole new area for me. Very exciting! Who should have known that ethnomusicology would take me here...

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#13 2010-11-19 06:22:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

You teach on 1.8? Is it jinashi?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#14 2010-11-19 06:50:11

Jam

I love the look of that flute! Lovely curve.

#15 2010-11-19 11:16:13

airin
Website

Being a big fan of online communities and keen on digital tools generally and online education particularly, it was great to be able to take part in last weekend's Toronto conference. Thank you for the opportunity Kiku!

(And yes, I was amazed to see your 1.8; it certainly sounded lovely.)

#16 2010-11-19 11:24:49

Christopher B.
Website

Nice posting, yeah it was really nice to take part and a great opportunity. Hope to see more of your work in the future, its quite interesting.

Best,

Chris

#17 2010-11-19 13:08:34

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

You teach on 1.8? Is it jinashi?

Tairaku, most of my students come with 1.8s so YES I teach on a D flute and have, of course, no what-so-ever problems with that. I love my D flutes!
I have 2... they are both around 1.7 but tuned to D. The one on the picture is the Kishu I bought from you. My usual D flute is a Murai. It is cracked and I need to send this one and a couple of other flutes to Ken... but I haven't got around to do this yet. I need to call the post office and ask how I make sure not to pay tax when they return. Remember we are the champions of tax!

So yes, I play on D flutes. I have a jinashi down till 1.4 and would LOVE to have a little cutie like Ken's 1.1 he sold not long ago! smile
For the past year or two I have actually been into playing short flutes and love it.

Thanks, Erin and Chris. Great you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed "being" with you during the exhibition. Hope we can do something similar in April in Cornwall, UK where I have another conference on the topic. Work in progress... never ending!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2010-11-19 16:05:41)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#18 2010-11-19 14:03:14

Jivanmukta

Actually, I think we are the masters of tax, not you danskerne.... :-)

Anyway, you need to write a proforma invoice, as you send it out, declaring the reason why it is sent. And the return sender has to make a proforma invoice upon return....

Should they still claim tax (which happens), its usually OK to write another letter to explain better, just remember to keep the receipts from the package out of Denmark as that is your proof when the flute returns.

I just made a proforma invoice as I sent my wooden flute to US as someone wanted to borrow it to study how it was made....., and I don't want to pay VAT when it is returned.

The people at freight company told me USA and Brazil is the strictest countries regarding customs, and yes, the borrower of the flute was claimed customs as it arrived even when I had written a proforma invoice..... Hopefully a complaint written as the flute is returned to me will give the money back.

You can find several templates if you google proforma invoice, it should be no problem. It can be used for repairs, exhibition purposes etc...

Jarle

Talk less - do more

#19 2010-11-19 16:13:12

Kiku Day
Website

Thanks Jarle.
Yes, I will do that as soon as possible! I need to repair these flutes and I don't try to do it myself anymore. There are people out there way better than me at that! wink

I am quite convinced we are the tax champions not you nordmænd smile  Don't you guys just pay around 40% income tax? We pay around 50% and some up to 52% and with 25% VAT or consumption tax on most goods. It is of course not the whole story because you don't pay tax until at certain amount and if you have mortgages or investments etc etc... but still...

PS. We have around 250% tax on new cars! yikes

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#20 2010-11-19 17:20:42

Christopher B.
Website

Hi Kiku,

there is also a thing called "outward processing", a guy from our local custom office told me as I got one of my flutes back from repair I have to register it first at a custom office or something before I send it away for repairs and then it will be no problem to get things back without paying any taxes again otherwise they always can try to get taxes even with a proforma invoice. I had the same problem and had alot of trouble even with the invoice, I talked half an hour or more with the guys at the office to get the flute without paying taxes and me and them where really pissed at the end of our "conversation". I think your offices must have nearly the same.

Here is a short description of that.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/cu … dex_en.htm

I would love to tell more about that but you know my english is very limited to get the whole process together.

Last edited by Christopher B. (2010-11-19 17:23:05)

#21 2010-11-19 18:12:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I have 2... they are both around 1.7 but tuned to D. The one on the picture is the Kishu I bought from you. My usual D flute is a Murai. It is cracked and I need to send this one and a couple of other flutes to Ken... but I haven't got around to do this yet. I need to call the post office and ask how I make sure not to pay tax when they return. Remember we are the champions of tax!

Kinshu, excellent maker, that flute was a rare jinashi from him, most are jiari.

I usually send them back and forth as "gifts" and value them low.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer