Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-20 14:00:02

Rob Bondy
Website

Winter storage question

I built a travel / storage case and I want to use it to keep a bound 2.1 out of sight and mind this winter while I get used to my new Yuu.

Currently it is in a shakuhachi bag, which is in a garbage bag, which is in a capped pvc pipe.  I have not stored it with a dampit or anything of the like.  It is being kept in my bedroom closet, which is neither particularly warm nor cold (room temperature).

Should that do for safe storage for a few months, or are there considerations I have overlooked?

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#2 2010-12-20 14:28:28

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Winter storage question

Rob Bondy wrote:

Should that do for safe storage for a few months, or are there considerations I have overlooked?

I think you'll be fine as you are. Adding a moist anything is just going to cause problems with growing things. Is that perhaps a
Monty flute mentioned by you earlier? If so, you're even safer, IMO.

Wouldn't hurt to take it out and give it some love a time or two...at least.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-12-20 17:22:41

airin
Website

The fact that there will not likely be great temperature fluctuations where you have stored the flute, makes it less likely to lead to the dreaded cracking we all fear.

And I agree with edosan, do take it out now and then to play.  If it was me, the Yuu would see more closet time than a bamboo flute but then I have my biases... :-)

#4 2010-12-20 18:40:52

Rob Bondy
Website

airin wrote:

The fact that there will not likely be great temperature fluctuations where you have stored the flute, makes it less likely to lead to the dreaded cracking we all fear.

And I agree with edosan, do take it out now and then to play.  If it was me, the Yuu would see more closet time than a bamboo flute but then I have my biases... :-)

I hear you.  Right now, being able to play along with recordings in the same key is the goal.

Edosan:   Yup.  The flute being stored is a Levenson 2.1 that was given to me beofre I ever had the notion to learn the instrument.

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#5 2010-12-20 19:01:43

baian

one might also consider the humidipak method while storing it, but i don't know many user's stories with that method. my flutes this winter in dry inside air seem happy tho.

Board footer