Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-18 21:16:57

J Ross
Website

New player from the Pacific NW!

Konichiwa to all from Vancouver,Washington!!

I have been a rim blown flute player for a few years now but only just recently took up the shakuhachi. I own a Perry Yung 1.8 in D Earth model and it is a delightful flute. I also am currently starting my journey in learning Japanese as well,trying to immerse myself completely as much as possible.
In addition to the shakuhachi,I also own Anasazi,Mojave and Hopi rim blown flutes made by Michael Allen of Coyote Oldman fame.

I won't learn the Shakuhachi over night (the language either! ) but the beginning of this journey is indeed fun and I hope to learn a lot on this forum.

My other passions are classical music(especially Mahler),long distance running (preferably half marathons and an occasional full) as well as tea(green and black ) and many others hobbies.

Origato,

Jim

#2 2010-12-18 23:00:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: New player from the Pacific NW!

J Ross wrote:

My other passions are classical music(especially Mahler),long distance running (preferably half marathons and an occasional full) as well as tea(green and black ) and many others hobbies.

Origato,

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim. There are other runners on the forum and some people are into tea, even to the extent of owning teahouses.

Ciao, BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-12-18 23:19:05

J Ross
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

J Ross wrote:

Origato,

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim. There are other runners on the forum and some people are into tea, even to the extent of owning teahouses.

Ciao, BR

How delightful!!!  I wish I'd have known about this site earlier. Glad Perry told me about it.

Arigato,

Jim

#4 2010-12-19 00:15:17

airin
Website

Welcome!  So you are from the american version of Vancouver, I see. I really must visit there some time ....

#5 2010-12-22 07:09:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jim, Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries!
Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2010-12-22 08:40:00

Jam

Hi Jim, from a fellow James.

Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of Japanese speakers here, some more advanced than others (no-sword for example has monster skills) but if you have any questions I'd be happy to help smile

Good luck with your playing, keep blowing. You'll have off days, just keep at it and it's immensely rewarding.

#7 2010-12-22 10:28:01

J Ross
Website

I appreciate the welcome spirit and will learn a lot on this forum. Fortunately experience has taught me patience in music and languages both.One never learns these things over night and Japanese is a tongue that will take years of study.But every road of knowledge is long and bumpy.No asphalt here!!

Being one with my shakuhachi is the first key part in this journey.Additionally,I can use my Anasazi and Mojave flutes to further my parctice too as the pentatonic scales are so similar.

Jim

#8 2010-12-22 17:29:44

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

J Ross wrote:

I appreciate the welcome spirit and will learn a lot on this forum. Fortunately experience has taught me patience in music and languages both.One never learns these things over night and Japanese is a tongue that will take years of study.But every road of knowledge is long and bumpy.No asphalt here!!

Being one with my shakuhachi is the first key part in this journey.Additionally,I can use my Anasazi and Mojave flutes to further my parctice too as the pentatonic scales are so similar.

Jim

Jim, when you feel comfortable, I would be curious to hear how the shakuhachi differs from these flutes.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#9 2010-12-22 23:34:43

J Ross
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

J Ross wrote:

Jim

Jim, when you feel comfortable, I would be curious to hear how the shakuhachi differs from these flutes.

Namaste, Perry

I will be jotting down this journey in my diary and hopefully posting it when time and meditation have both proved educational enough.
My Anasazi and Native American rim blown flute journey was and still is a part of my life so the cross over into the realm of the Shakuhachi will,in my estimation,prove to be a delightful and spiritual one.After 5 days with this beautiful instrument I find that the response and heartbeat are truly unique.

More to follow....

Board footer