Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-11 23:48:05

Moran from Planet X
Website

Sheet music for the Nezasa Ha Kinpu Ryu?

Could someone point to a source where I might be able to obtain sheet music for the Nezasa Ha Kinpu Ryu? Thanks, -- Chris

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2005-10-12 09:14:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Sheet music for the Nezasa Ha Kinpu Ryu?

Chris Moran wrote:

Could someone point to a source where I might be able to obtain sheet music for the Nezasa Ha Kinpu Ryu? Thanks, -- Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you already know how to play the pieces, or do you need to learn them? Because usually you get the music from your teacher. Maybe if you could write a member introduction and if we knew where you were located someone could point you in the direction of a teacher who has the music.

The classic Kinpu notatation was issued by Aoki Reibo 1 and Inoue Shigemi back in the '30's (I believe). It's been out of print for decades unfortunately.

The Jin Nyodo version of the notation is excellent and highly graphic. It can be purchased as part of his complete notation. There are the ten Nezasaha pieces, plus two in the urajoshi tuning, plus "Rokudan" in Nezasaha style. The rest of the notation is other honkyoku from various schools and sources. I believe it can be obtained from shakuhachi.com and from Mejiro in Tokyo.

Here in America any of the licensed teachers from the Jin Nyodo school have been trained in all the pieces and use notation from Kurahashi Yodo, who was one of Jin's students.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2005-10-13 04:06:51

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Sheet music for the Nezasa Ha Kinpu Ryu?

Tairaku wrote:

The classic Kinpu notatation was issued by Aoki Reibo 1 and Inoue Shigemi back in the '30's (I believe). It's been out of print for decades unfortunately.

Thank you again, Tairaku. Wouldn't that be a great collection to get back in print somehow?

I'll talk with my teacher about it next time I see him. My visits to him are all too infrequent. The Jin Nyodo collection is quite beautiful and at the top of my wishlist. Thank you for reinforcing that.

- Chris

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer