Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-01 20:33:52

Peter Kororo
Website

Greetings

Hi, my name is Peter Hill. I've been playing music, starting with piano, since I was 5, and also played trumpet and sang for a number of years.
As a teenager I became very interested in Daoism and Zen, and after studying Chinese in college I moved to China, in 1985, and then to Taiwan, where studied pre-Han Chinese language and philosophy.

My interest in shakuhachi stems from hearing a cassette tape of it in early 1988. I was at the time planning to take up the study of the Chinese dongxiao, but like many on this forum I was thunderstruck by the beauty and profundity of the shakuhachi and its music, and soon as I could I moved to Korea for half a year and then went to Japan to find a teacher. I stopped in Hiroshima to offer a prayer and apology and then went to Kyoto, where I met Kurahashi Yoshio, with whom I studied Kinko-ryu gaikyoku and honkyoku, koten-honkyoku in the Jin Nyodo lineage, and minyo intensively for about 3 years. I then spent close to a year living and hiking in the Himalaya before returning to the US.

I continued practicing on my own until in the late '90s I returned to Japan and met Taniguchi Yoshinobu, who strongly urged me to return to Japan to do further studies. I did at the beginning of 2001 and spent 3 more years studying koten honkyoku with Kakizakai Kaoru and Yokoyama Katsuya. I received a Shihan menjo in 2004, and was awarded a Dai-shihan menjo by Yokoyama sensei at the beginning of this year. In awarding the latter Yokoyama sensei commented that he felt I had not only the technical skills commensurate with the degree but an exceptional ability to communicate the philosophical underpinnings of shakuhachi honkyoku in my playing. This was deeply gratifying to me as perhaps my main purpose in coming to Asia was to learn its culture and philosophy as deeply as I could, and then transmit that to Westerners, and I long felt that shakuhachi honkyoku is emblematic and expressive of not just  Daoism and Zen but of the fundamental world view of Asian philosophy.

Since I first arrived in Japan I've had an interest in pre-WWII shakuhachi, and have been collecting them since then. I sell these vintage shakuhachi from my home and on the internet. I also offer modern shakuhachi by a couple of Japan's best contemporary makers.

I currently live in Seattle where I teach and occasionally perform, but am at present focusing on recording, my writing, and developing teaching materials. I plan to set up internet lessons in the near future. I'm also making arrangements to move back to Japan for a while and then to Europe. Anyone interested in studying shakuhachi,  acquiring an instrument, or having me evaluate their shakuhachi can contact me at peterh29@yahoo.com or visit my website, www.reibo.org.

Last edited by Peter Kororo (2008-11-10 20:11:09)

“Many people come, looking, looking. Some people come, see.”
                        —Nepalese saying

#2 2008-07-03 00:45:43

Seth

Re: Greetings

Hey Peter,

I just wanted to share that I still recall quite vividly how deeply moved and impressed I was by your performance at the New York Shakuhachi festival two years ago.  (And I don't get impressed easily at all.)  For those of you who have not had the pleasure of hearing Peter's sound:  he's got it going on.  Big time.

I greatly look forward to reading your contributions to the forum conversations.

Seth

#3 2008-07-04 03:58:24

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Peter,

It's good to see you here on the forum.  I enjoyed talking with you (and listening to you play) last summer in Bisei.  Wish I could make it down to Oz this week...

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-07-04 03:59:10)

#4 2011-01-08 13:29:48

radi0gnome
Website

Seth wrote:

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of hearing Peter's sound:  he's got it going on.  Big time.

I just found this on youtube, you're absolutely right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdPUWetDX0

Nice work Peter!!!

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2011-01-08 13:45:30

J Ross
Website

Very enjoyable video on Youtube there Peter.

Jim

Board footer