Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-13 15:41:22

Niklas

The pleasure is all mine

Pleasure to meet you. My name is Nick, I was made in Sweden in 1979 and am now in my third year as a weekly student of Gunnar Jinmei Linder, as knowledgable and generous a teacher as one could ever hope to meet. Shakuhachi-wise, we’ve covered around twelve or so pieces of the Kinko honkyoku repertoire (and by this I mean I have had as much help with them as anyone could ask for, now all that remains is a few decades of practice), a handful of sankyoku and quite a bit of other stuff. Lately renkan has been a main thing, not least since it so much fun.

I’ve had the good luck to be able to visit the Chikumeisha in Tokyo to have a half-day lesson with Matsuyama Ryuhei (a man whose hospitality, amiability and generosity are simply amazing), and also dared the terrors of the Autobahn in my Corolla last summer to spend a day with the illustrious Jim Franklin (I admit to having a soft spot for Yokoyama’s style).

As a player, I never cease to be amazed at my ability to sound like crap despite hours of daily practice. Nevertheless, I feel like I’m in a place where I no longer wonder how it can possibly take so long to learn to play one instrument, but am rather looking forward to all that time, hoping it will last as long as possible.

I have a contribution to the forum, if anyone is interested: Today was supposed to be spent sorting receipts and finishing a long overdue magazine article, but life is far to short for that. Instead I spent the bulk of the day writing down the notation (kinko, or as close an a approximation as I’m capable of) for this tune played by Fujiwara Dozan (who I revere): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeP4E3OzbA.
I find the melody to be quite sentimental and modern-sounding, but I’m just uncomplicated enough to be a sucker for that.

If anyone would like the notation I’d be happy to scan it and send it by e-mail. Dozan is playing a 1,6 in the video – if you’d like a sound clip from a 1,8 I can record one and send it as well. Good practice for me, and perhaps hearing the tune played by a random guy – which is very much what I am – will further increase your appreciation of the original player, a man who according to legend managed to blow a ro out of a fish roll during his time at Tokyo Geidai. 

A favor in return, perhaps: If anyone knows anything about this melody (its name, for starters, or maybe whether its just an improvisation or not) I’d love to know. I speak enough Japanese to ask which bus goes to Ginza and what the deal is with the PA system in the pachinko hall, but kanji (well, and most kana) are yet a thing of the future.

Last edited by Niklas (2011-01-13 15:43:29)

#2 2011-01-13 16:05:56

radi0gnome
Website

Re: The pleasure is all mine

Niklas wrote:

As a player, I never cease to be amazed at my ability to sound like crap despite hours of daily practice.

Betcha you sound simply awesome sometimes though, right?

Welcome to the forum!

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2011-01-14 05:16:30

Jam

Niklas wrote:

As a player, I never cease to be amazed at my ability to sound like crap despite hours of daily practice.

---

A favor in return, perhaps: If anyone knows anything about this melody (its name, for starters, or maybe whether its just an improvisation or not) I’d love to know. I speak enough Japanese to ask which bus goes to Ginza and what the deal is with the PA system in the pachinko hall, but kanji (well, and most kana) are yet a thing of the future.

Hi Niklas, I know exactly how you feel about sounding crap, but when it's good, it's good right?

I was in Sweden recently, lovely country and very nice people smile Whereabouts are you from? I visited Umea and Stockholm.

The piece you have posted here is great, his playing is so expressive. The Japanese under the video says:

"I do not know the title. It might be an improvisation. Please enjoy it together with the wonderful CG".

I hope that helps!

#4 2011-01-14 12:30:15

Niklas

Hi Jam – thanks for the help with the translation (I loved the song, but call the wonderfulness of the CG into question).

radi0gnome, Jam: As for sounding crap, that has never made me feel bad. Frankly, if it did, I couldn’t see myself continuing to play shakuhachi beyond a few months or so – that would be musical masochism. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing ever since I managed to get that feeble first whimper out of the flute.

The quality of the sound only becomes an issue to me when playing to other people. Since the shakuhachi is such an exotic instrument, you sort of get forced into the role of cultural ambassador for the whole musical tradition every time you perform, which to me feels like a heavy responsibility – not least considering the relentless investment of time and effort made by all the truly accomplished players out there. It's daunting for an amateur to try to carry that legacy. 

Luckily, on the few occasions I’ve performed live it has been pieces for two flutes, which frequently allows my weaker sound to blend in with my teacher’s vastly superior playing. Still, it’s agony when my sound wavers during a kaki-ai sequence, when its just my flute alone and no one to save the day. To me, shakuhachi has proven a horribly unforgiving instrument to play live: The elevated heartbeat, shortened breath and dry mouth that just seem to ambush you when you suddenly find yourself in the center of attention are all constant threats of disaster, even if you manage the not inconsiderable task of playing the right notes in the correct order and tempo.

It will certainly be years before I can deliver a solo honkyoku piece in front of other people without feeling they’re doing me a favor by listening. On the bright side, it is my intention to enjoy every second of those years.

Jam, as for your Swedish visit, I remember reading your post mentioning this. I live in Stockholm, as does my teacher. Should you venture onto my turf again, I hope you will have the time and inclination to get in touch for some playing and/or comparing of notes (same goes for all forum members, naturally). I visited Oxford two years ago, staying in a place called the Bath Place Hotel, a stone's throw from the Bodleian. Love at first sight, that town.

Last edited by Niklas (2011-01-14 12:31:58)

#5 2011-01-14 13:39:31

Karmajampa
Website

Thanks Nick, a piece worth learning.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#6 2011-01-14 15:24:07

dstone
Website

Niklas wrote:

It will certainly be years before I can deliver a solo honkyoku piece in front of other people without feeling they’re doing me a favor by listening. On the bright side, it is my intention to enjoy every second of those years.

Niklas, you have a great attitude.  I understand exactly what you mean.  Audience.  Pounding hearbeat.  Long, quiet, sensitive honkyoku phrases...  anxiety!

I try to view sharing a honkyoku differently than performing music.  This is easier said than done.  Especially if the audience expects a musical performance.  Try children and animals?   ;-)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2011-01-14 17:00:49

Jam

Niklas wrote:

Jam, as for your Swedish visit, I remember reading your post mentioning this. I live in Stockholm, as does my teacher. Should you venture onto my turf again, I hope you will have the time and inclination to get in touch for some playing and/or comparing of notes (same goes for all forum members, naturally). I visited Oxford two years ago, staying in a place called the Bath Place Hotel, a stone's throw from the Bodleian. Love at first sight, that town.

I extend the same offer to you my friend, should you ever return to my hometown. Bring your flute and we can go play some music in the university parks smile

#8 2011-01-15 20:12:57

airin
Website

Hello Nick and welcome to the forum!  Thanks for introducing yourself and for explaining, more eloquently than I could have, the experiences of a beginning player. I agree with you about enjoying the instrument on one's own in spite of the difficult learning curve. I too am fascinated by the shakuhachi and love the process of learning about its sound potential. But playing for others is not only nerve wracking, it can be totally humbling.  I would have to agree with Darren, best to play for (tolerant) children and animals.... for the first five  (or more?!) years.

#9 2011-01-15 20:41:08

J Ross
Website

Welcome from another newbie!!

Jim
Vancouver,Washington USA

#10 2011-01-15 20:41:26

Karmajampa
Website

The majority of people I have played in front of have never heard a 'live' Shakuhachi so have no preconception of what to expect, take advantage of that and play on. They will more than likely appreciate your sharing.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2011-01-17 19:28:28

Josh
PhD
Website

Welcome to the forum. Exploring the shakuhachi on your own is a great way to grow.  You've also found a way to surround yourself and benefit from some great players and teachers. Progression is a process and especially if you aim for technique similar to Fujiwara Dozan, remember he started daily lessons around the age of 10. Take it at your own pace and let the race against the clck be a motivator. Most non-Japanese players meet the shakuhachi later on, but there are still a number of great players.

#12 2011-01-18 03:40:49

Niklas

Thanks, Josh! One might say that I aim for a technique similar to Fujiwara Dozan like a guy with a long bicycle ride to work aims for a technique similar to Lance Armstrong.

Something I'd really like to emulate is Dozan’s supernatural ability to get out of impossible situations with flying colors. Allow me to hold up exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudQjloSGzM – stunning backing shakuhachi for a SMAP! song, unflatteringly sung by four tone-deaf presenters. Also the Kenny G collaborations. The Beatles medleys. And there is an insane video of him performing Bach in front of a full symphony orchestra on a five-hole shakuhachi, all from memory of course.

Dozan is of course one of many, many players worthy of admiration. Yourself not the least: Watching that lovely report on your dojo from Japanese television, reading about your success as a player and, above all, hearing your music, is a great inspiration. Not least since we’re close in age; it makes an impossible dream seem slightly less so. I’m going to Tokyo in april, and would have loved to revisit Nara and see you for a lesson or three, but my visit is very brief and my wife will be hard to persuade, as she was bitten in the elbow by one of the deer when she failed to distribute cookies with satisfactory speed a few years ago… Shika no Tone indeed.

Last edited by Niklas (2011-01-18 03:45:59)

#13 2011-01-18 06:28:35

Jam

Niklas wrote:

... to revisit Nara and see you for a lesson or three, but my visit is very brief and my wife will be hard to persuade, as she was bitten in the elbow by one of the deer when she failed to distribute cookies with satisfactory speed a few years ago… Shika no Tone indeed.

Those deer are relentless, I got bitten by one, my foot stomped on by another and another butting me in the arse when I didn't hand out the deer senbei fast enough.

#14 2011-01-24 11:30:41

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Thats a cool piece. Thats for sharing it. I will learn it too ;-). Its my goal today to transcribe it & learn it. I use Amazing Slow Downer to transpose (change keys) and slow down stuff. Also there is site where you can take out mp3s from the videos in Youtube.
Its a great way to learn stuff, try to write down as much as you can and than play it with your instrument.
Also, i heard somewhere that Dozan may come in Ny in April for a concert.

Geni

#15 2011-01-25 03:29:07

Niklas

Geni: Another forum member, who has most graciously given me invaluable help with the transcription, tipped me off about the Slow Downer – I haven't bought the software yet, but will be sure to do so when next I try to notate anything. I tried to do my own transcription by ear on a 1,8, and as a consequence there were many errors. If you'd like to share your efforts I'd be most interested to see your take on the notation!

I totally agree about the benefits of writing your own notation: It still takes me a ridiculous amount of time, but every invested hour yields huge profit when next trying to understand written music. 

If Dozan shows up in New York I sincerely hope that you and/or other forum members in the vicinity go there and share your impressions here.

#16 2011-01-25 07:01:10

nofun

Hi Niklas, and welcome to the forum!

We share the pleasure of having the same wonderful teacher. Though unlike you , I only get to meet Gunnar-sensei a few times a year during the Helsinki workshops.  If my memory serves me correctly, weren't you supposed to come to the one on October but had to make a last minute cancellation? Are you coming to the next one a couple of weeks from now?

-Erkki-

#17 2011-01-25 08:30:06

Niklas

Hi Erkki! Yes, Gunnar told me about you!

Indeed, something came up to prevent me from going to the October workshop, but I am flying over for the one this February, and am looking forward to it a lot. It'll be great to see the whole Finnish crew again, and I'm looking forward to meeting you as well! I'm really interested to hear about your Japanese experience with Sugawara Kuniyoshi. You must tell me all about it, preferably at great length and in extreme detail!

Have you guys gotten together to play in Helsinki between workshops, by the way?

#18 2011-01-25 22:06:54

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Sure, I will share the notation with you guys. Here is the catch ;-). I did it in western notation for 1.8. More useful for me that way. Just did the first 2 min. The rest is embellishment of previus material. Now, some notes value maybe a bit shorter/longer.
Transcribe is also a good software also.
G

#19 2011-01-25 22:41:22

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Email me privately to receive the chart.

#20 2011-01-26 11:01:45

nofun

I don't know what the rest of the group are up to between the workshop, but as it takes 7 hours by train to get to Helsinki from where I live I rarely meet the others outside the organized events. Kinda wish I could play with other people more frequently than I currently do. 

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you in the February workshop and sharing the experiences I've had with Sugawara-sensei!

Erkki

Board footer