#1 2011-01-13 14:22:05

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Ellen Stewart, Off Off Broadway Pioneer, Dies at 91

An angel has left.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/ellen.jpg

New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/theat … ewart.html

Ellen Stewart was a great supporter of world cultures. In 1994, she was awarded the "Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Rosette" by the Emperor of Japan. Her long time resident musicians played the shakuhachi in countless theater productions.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2011-01-13 16:51:54

indigo

Re: Ellen Stewart, Off Off Broadway Pioneer, Dies at 91

Thank you Perry for posting such a beautiful picture of Ellen Stewart.   Her loss to us changes the constellation of the living profoundly.

Especially the world of theater.  I last saw Ellen last spring in the Annex before and after a performance,  gracious and smiling, ringing the bell, holding the the theatrical space clear so that the muses might have room and energy for the performers and audience.  At that time I marveled at Ellen's power and grace.  My heart goes out to Ellen and her closest collaborators.

Were it not for La Mama I might not have heard the shakuhachi, the empty bell via Genji Ito, Yukio Tsugi and Perry Yung.

What loving brilliance Ellen Stewart brought to the world,  I will miss her.  Our challenge is so much greater now that she is gone.

Christopher Yeatman

#3 2011-01-13 16:59:57

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

What an inspiring and important person to the theater world of NYC and the USA.
And what a loss of one of the true cultural pioneers of New York Theater.
I first worked at La Mama with Teiji Ito and the Pan-Asian Repertory Theater when I returned from Japan in 1975.

Ellen Stewart was truly special.

I will play BANSHIKI for the safe passage of her spirit to its next incarnation - where I'm sure she will continue to expand people's consciousness.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#4 2011-01-18 11:14:29

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

indigo wrote:

Her loss to us changes the constellation of the living profoundly....Especially the world of theater.  I last saw Ellen last spring in the Annex before and after a performance,  gracious and smiling, ringing the bell, holding the the theatrical space clear so that the muses might have room and energy for the performers and audience.  At that time I marveled at Ellen's power and grace.  My heart goes out to Ellen and her closest collaborators...

Thanks Christopher. When I first met Ellen in 1993, she said, "Call me Mama". She certainly became that, and much more. She brought me all over the world and introduced me to other cultures. She reminded me often that I needed to speak to "them" if I wanted to be an effective artist. I would not be playing shakuhachi today had it not been for Ellen. Like a great parent, she saw that I was developing a passion for it and strongly encouraged me to pursue it.

What loving brilliance Ellen Stewart brought to the world,  I will miss her.  Our challenge is so much greater now that she is gone.

Christopher Yeatman

I've spent the last three days being with my La Mama siblings from all over the world. We all felt a communal pressure, challenge and privilege to keep the torch burning bright.

Nyogetsu wrote:

What an inspiring and important person to the theater world of NYC and the USA.
And what a loss of one of the true cultural pioneers of New York Theater.

Yes, she and her "babies" greatly influenced American theater. But in actuality her work was like that of many American artists, she had far more respect and influence outside our borders. Ellen was constantly traveling in other countries teaching workshops and embowering people with tools to tell their stories. She was the closest thing to American theater royalty (if there is such a thing).

I first worked at La Mama with Teiji Ito and the Pan-Asian Repertory Theater when I returned from Japan in 1975.

Ellen Stewart was truly special.

I recall with fond memories the Kumoijishii you played for my fellow SLANT cohort Wayland Quintero's wedding party at La Mama.

I will play BANSHIKI for the safe passage of her spirit to its next incarnation - where I'm sure she will continue to expand people's consciousness.

Thanks Ronnie. Yesterday, Yukio, Brian Nishii and I opened the mass at St.Patrick's Cathedral with shakuhachi.

I've never seen a funeral end in a standing ovation. There were no words

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2011-01-18 11:33:47)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer