Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-20 07:54:24

Niklas

Shakuhachi Playing in the Shower: Thoughts and Reflections

Let it never be said that my three years of experience have not contributed significantly to the global shakuhachi community.

SHOWER ACOUSTICS
The ceramic tiles frequently used in bathrooms provide a natural reverb to the sound of the shakuhachi, making it an ideal venue for playing.

POSITION OF THE SHOWER HEAD
If standing immediately in front of the shower head facing into the stream of water, there will be serious interference with the air stream between the lips and the utaguchi. The distraction of the experience as well as the temperature of the water may also negatively affect embouchure, depending on the level of experience of the player. Standing directly under the shower head and allowing the water to pour down the forehead and across the face yields similiar results. Performing the koro-koro trill under these circumstances causes an interesting, bubbling sound that could possibly be utilized for its striking effect.
Nevertheless, the inexperienced player would be well adviced to aim the shower head at a shoulder of choice, at the base of the neck or at the back of the head. 

HALF-HOLING
Water surface tension causes considerable issues while playing in the shower, rendering meri fingerings more or less impossible. Chu-meris are possible but unreliable, and are only to be counted on when playing on a descending scale, half-holing an already open hole.

SOAP AND SHAMPOO
The chemicals active in soap and shampoo reduce the surface tension of water; hence one could think the agile player could work up a fast foam before going into more meri-intense melodies. However, bubbles will form over the holes, making half-holing even more difficult to achieve. Even worse, soap residue on the hands may film over holes that are quickly opened – this is especially true of the back hole. Trills on hi or ri should therefore not be attempted while shower products are in use.

AUDIENCE ISSUES
Depending on the size of the bathroom in which the shower is installed, there may be limited room for an audience. Mirrors may make the space out to be larger than is actually the case, which must be taken into account. The best (and possibly only) seat in the house will arguably be the toilet. There may also be additional space for a standing audience by the wash basin, next to the towel hanger and so forth.
If the bathroom is located in an apartment complex, the sound of the shakuhachi may be transported through the ventilation shafts into neighbouring bathrooms, thus increasing the capacity of the venue dramatically.
While performing, you may or may not be naked. Your choice in the matter may or may not add to the experience of both player and audience, but in either case it is a factor that should be given due consideration aforehand. Consider also the fact that using a kyotaku, hocchiku or choukan, particularly in a cold shower, may make other things seem smaller by comparison.
In conclusion, shakuhachi playing in the shower should by default be regarded as a solitary, meditative experience. Alternatively, if the air ducts are capable of appropriate acoustics, a synchronized shower session might be arranged so that others tenants may benefit from your playing.

SCHOOLS OF SHAKUHACHI MUSIC APPROPRIATE FOR PLAYING IN THE SHOWER
Honkyoku, myoan, sankyoku and dokyoku performances should, if possible, be held elsewhere and not in the shower. Western diatonic melodies using the major scale will work best. Ro-buki and similiar long-note exercises are, of course, ideal.   

BAMBOO IN THE SHOWER
It is recommended that the flute used is made of a material other than wood. Research was conducted using a PVC specimen.

AUTHOR’S AFTERWORD
If the readership so demands, research for a follow-up article may me conducted by the author during a shakuhachi workshop in Helsinki this February, Hocchiku in the Sauna: A Sceptic’s Approach.

Last edited by Niklas (2011-01-20 14:43:12)

#2 2011-01-20 15:22:24

No-sword
Website

Re: Shakuhachi Playing in the Shower: Thoughts and Reflections

Honkyoku, myoan, sankyoku and dokyoku performances should, if possible, be held elsewhere and not in the shower. Western diatonic melodies using the major scale will work best. Ro-buki and similiar long-note exercises are, of course, ideal.

What, not "Takiochi"?

Matt / no-sword.jp

#3 2011-01-20 16:25:45

Moran from Planet X
Website

No-sword wrote:

What, not "Takiochi"?

Especially cold showers.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2011-02-07 16:37:43

Moran from Planet X
Website

Neatest homepage on the planet.

Mouse-over the triangles and play your own Ornette solo.

http://www.ornettecoleman.com/

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2011-02-07 16:43:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Or just do it this way:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/ornette-2.jpg

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2011-02-08 01:00:13

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Or just do it this way:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 … ette-2.jpg

That's a Taimu 3.0 you're playing, right?

#7 2011-02-08 08:55:25

Niklas

Neatest homepage on the planet.

http://www.ornettecoleman.com/

Yes, well, this was great for the first minute or two, then the water seeped into the hard drive and wrecked the laptop.

I think Tairaku's method would be better, although judging from the picture, that's a steam bath rather than a shower.

Last edited by Niklas (2011-02-08 08:57:54)

Board footer