Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-21 13:57:36

Ryan Sullivan

Crafting Ri

When I am tuning the shakuhachi I craft, there is a consistent issue with Ri.  If I use the standard fingering of 1,2,5 closed, then Ri is too flat to be pulled into tune with a decently sized finger hole: the 4th hole would have to be way too large. However, if I only close 1 and 5,  Ri comes into tune with a 4th hole the same size as the other holes. What are the various factors that would play into this issue?
I am refraining, at first, to post any of my measurements in hopes that it will provide more of an open forum for broad ideas and acoustical theories.
thanks

"There are connections we cannot even see, my friend"

#2 2011-01-21 15:47:01

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Crafting Ri

Ryan Sullivan wrote:

When I am tuning the shakuhachi I craft, there is a consistent issue with Ri.  If I use the standard fingering of 1,2,5 closed, then Ri is too flat to be pulled into tune with a decently sized finger hole: the 4th hole would have to be way too large. However, if I only close 1 and 5,  Ri comes into tune with a 4th hole the same size as the other holes. What are the various factors that would play into this issue?
I am refraining, at first, to post any of my measurements in hopes that it will provide more of an open forum for broad ideas and acoustical theories.
thanks

Ryan,

What if you move hole four slightly higher? If there is equal distance between holes one through four now that could be the issue.
Some hole placement formulas call for equal distance. In this case, moving hole three lower and hole four higher can often
fix most tuning issues.

Ken

#3 2011-01-22 08:35:56

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Crafting Ri

What if you play ri with 2 and 5 closed?  The method that I have been taught for ri is that.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer