Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-23 21:30:29

Galactic Dog

The ever evolving sound

Anyone experience changes in the sound that you are not happy with?  It seems that I find a sound that feels good and then I wake up one day and the sound I was familiar with is gone.  The tone is hallow, less full, and tinny.  It seems the more I try to chase after what I want it to sound like the more difficult it is to create good tone.  I'm currently experiencing a sound that doesn't sit right so I'm doing my best to experience the sound as it is, although frustrating it may be.

#2 2011-01-23 22:48:19

Lorka

Re: The ever evolving sound

I think that is pretty normal and goes away after several years of practice

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#3 2011-01-23 23:56:39

airin
Website

The sound will keep changing.  Soon the sound you aren't so happy with will go and a more pleasant tone will come.  And then, the pleasant tones will go and an irritating sound will come.  And then....well I think you get the idea.  Enjoy the moment my shakuhachi friend!

#4 2011-01-24 07:34:45

radi0gnome
Website

I agree that it will change and the cycle will repeat, but it's because you aren't doing exactly what you did the last time... lips, jaw, posture, tongue, throat. It can be worked on, that's the reason for practicing long tones, so you can build the body memory to achieve the notes at will. Do you really ro-buki as much as you've see teachers prescribe? 10 minutes isn't much, I believe barely enough, but takes a lot of energy and feels like a lot. Particularly with Ro that is one of the more difficult notes on the flute. My personal strategy is to continually go back to a higher note that I can get a good tone with to use for comparison as to what it should sound and feel like rather than just hammer at a sub-standard tone on the more difficult Ro.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2011-01-24 09:11:24

edosan
Edomologist

'Body memory', yes, but mostly what long tones do is increase muscle tone and stamina in the embouchure, without which muscle memory will have little effect. This is why daily long tones is important; to keep the muscle tone. Like your daily calisthenics. You do some calisthenics every day, right?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2011-01-25 08:32:52

Lorka

calis what... oh crap, I'm in trouble.  time for some long tones.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

Board footer