Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Michael Chikuzen Gould Online Skype Lesons!!

#26 2011-01-07 15:49:50

J Ross
Website

Re: Michael Chikuzen Gould Online Skype Lesons!!

I thought about lessons with Chikuzen at first but then found Larry Tyrrell in my local area. Nice to know that the Skype method is working for others though.

Jim
じぇいむず

#27 2011-01-08 10:32:47

TCB

How much do I need to know before contacting a teacher? Familiarity with the notation system? Any others?

#28 2011-01-08 11:07:43

airin
Website

TCB wrote:

How much do I need to know before contacting a teacher? Familiarity with the notation system? Any others?

With most good shakuhachi teachers, they can take a beginner from square one: from never even having held or blown a bamboo flute before and never having read a single note of shakuhachi notation to holding the flute correctly (more important than you first realize), playing the first notes (very exciting moment) and reading the first phrases of a simple folk song (very satisfying).

You could always contact the teacher you have in mind to ask about your suitability for starting lessons. However, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't be able to start you from the very beginning and in fact I think that's an excellent time to start with a teacher - before you know anything about playing at all!

#29 2011-01-08 11:15:06

LowBlow
Website

TCB wrote:

Nothing

#30 2011-01-12 14:11:16

TCB

Thank you all for your input.

#31 2011-01-26 00:36:30

Zakarius

I would suggest asking these types of questions directly of your prospective teacher. She or he can let you know whatever you need before your first online (or even face-to-face) lesson.

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Michael Chikuzen Gould Online Skype Lesons!!

Board footer