Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-18 15:10:20

lee

hollo

hi, i'm lee

i've played the shakuhachi for about a year or more, i loose track, i don't have a teacher (though i would have if there was one near hmm ) but my uncle who lives in japan has showed me some, him being the one who introduced me to shakuhachi.

i'm 16, i live on the isle of wight, england, i like music, walking, art, etc...

i also play guitar, bass, keyboard (slightly), african talking drum, ney(havn't quite learnt it properly yet, though)

i like buddhists, though i'm not nessesarily one (the journey leads where the journey leads)

#2 2005-11-19 09:14:26

John Roff

Re: hollo

Hi Lee

Welcome. I'm also quite new to the world of Shakuahchi, but am enjoying it thoroughly. There is going to be a shakuhachi summer school next year in the U.K. In London during July, I believe. Others on the forum may know more. It would be good if you could go there. I've recently experienced that a few hours spent with a teacher and player who knows what they are doing is worth many more hours of trying my own interpretations of what I thought were effective techniques.

What kind of music do you enjoy playing on the shakuhachi?

I hope you encounter much delight on your journey.

Cheers

John

Last edited by John Roff (2005-11-19 09:15:17)

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#3 2005-11-19 10:05:36

lee

shakuhachi summer school, sounds intresting, i will try to find out more...

i like the traditional pieces, but some times its fun to work out a piece that wasn't desinged for the shakuhachi, for example the intro to 'on the waterfront' by leonard bernstein.

thanks for your post

#4 2005-11-28 10:44:26

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Lee and others,
Sorry to have been so slow writing you about the summer school although I have been the energy and idea force behind the summer school in London (now helped by especially Michael Coxall). I just moved back there from the San Francisco Bay Area to do my PhD at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies), University of London. They have already a series of summer schools in different instruments and genres from around the world such as Iranian daf, klezmer music, Thai ensemble etc. So, I thought it would be a great place for the first pan-European summer school. The dates are: 19-22 July 2006. We are still calculating the fees - trying to keep the cost as low as possible.
There are much more imformation on this on:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Euroshak/
That's where we post and discuss shakuhachi matters for Europe. Please tell others about this as it may not have gone out to everybody.
We are so far going to have teachers (mostly local Europeans for this first one) in Jin-Nyodo, Do-kyoku, kinko, Zensabo(ji-nashi) styles + folk songs, improvisation, shakuhachi in rock and jazz.
You can also contact me for more information about the summer school or about teachers in London etc.

Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer