Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-26 18:24:18

ntimperio

Recording shakuhachi audio and video

Dear Forum,

I want to record myself playing shakuhachi on a monthly basis both for fun, and so I can send copies to my mother.  I have a blue snowball, and get great results recording audio using audacity.  However, whenever I use windows live movie maker to record audio and video I get something like a scratched record effect where I hear a bunch of pops (one every 1 - 3 seconds).  I verified that both audacity and movie maker are using the snowball as the mic, and have disabled the mic on my webcam in windows.  Is there any better software to record audio and video?  I find it hard to believe my PC isn't up to the task, but have included specs in case I'm missing something. 

for the techno-savy, my computer is as follows:
Windows 7 pro 64
Intel Core 2 duo 3ghz
8GB DDR2
nvidia 9800 GTX
western digital raptor x 10,000rpm hard drive
fairly cheap logitech webcam
blue snowball
integrated network card
integrated audio out

thank you for any advice,
Nicholas

#2 2011-01-26 18:36:57

Christopher B.
Website

Re: Recording shakuhachi audio and video

Well, it can be the Mic-Settings...I have no other tool to record but you have to make sure you use DX(DirectX) to record and not wave or windows. I dont know if you have the possibility to change the input settings like that in WMM. I have the same problem in Ableton when I use something other then DX on my USB mic. Well Ableton is nice to record and make music but I got it from a friend who bought it cause it costs arround 700$ and that will be too much for home recording like that. I think Audacity is the better choise if you just want to record and WMM should work fine if you can change the settings.

Hope this helps,

Be well!

Christopher

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#3 2011-01-26 19:23:11

radi0gnome
Website

ntimperio wrote:

Is there any better software to record audio and video?

I tried Pinnacle VideoSpin as a free alternative to Windows Movie Maker. I don't know if you can record directly into it or not (I didn't know you could with WMM). Maybe you could record the video with your webcam and simultaneously record the audio with a different recording device (maybe an MP3 player) and then overlay the video with the imported audio file.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2011-01-27 04:32:35

Ambi

I've struggled with trying to record Audio and video in sync, just can't seem to do it at a reasonable quality. (but them I'm a freetard..) - It's one of the things that impresses me about Skype.

You could try recording audio with Audacity whilst recording the video with VLC then matching the two files up in your editor. (just clap your hands...)

VLC is an amazing bit of code, it probably could do what you want, but being free it's not the easiest UI when you get to recording, converting etc,.

To record video just open capture device, then convert instead of play and make sure you name the file with a .mp4 on the end.

VLC is great for playing downloaded youtube videos too (I've never seen a video file it won't play) - top tip playing vids at reduced speed it will keep the pitch the same.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#5 2011-01-27 13:28:58

ntimperio

Thanks for the comments!  I searched WMM for settings, and just can't find any for the capture mode.  I'll be giving VLC a shot.  I've used this program for playback before, but not recording.  I'm good with not easy, as it usually means more knobs and switches to tweak until you get it tuned just right (-:

Board footer