Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-08-07 18:15:16

rpowers

Re: Komuso and flutemaking sightings!

An earlier view (published in the October, 1909 issue of The Violinist:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XeAqAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA9-PA20&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U20PDcBgQV-A4CkQDQGLlhSHIYCKA&ci=64%2C614%2C930%2C349&edge=0

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#27 2009-08-15 18:54:53

mrwuwu

For the Japanese movie buffs,  a half second shakuhachi scene in "  Big Man Japan ".   Very dry Japanese humor,  highly recommended only for serious Japanophiles,   very slow film,  then picks up speed,  gets wacky and funny,  then goes completely unbelievably freaked out Japanese as only the Japanese can.     Not your usual Japanese monster movie.    " I "  liked it!!!!

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#28 2009-08-17 09:47:35

lowonthetotem
Website

I watched Seven Samurai this weekend.  Does anyone know the Minto piece that the farmers are playing/singing at the end when they are planting their rice?

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#29 2009-08-17 12:16:14

edosan
Edomologist

lowonthetotem wrote:

I watched Seven Samurai this weekend.  Does anyone know the Minto piece that the farmers are playing/singing at the end when they are planting their rice?

Can you provide an audio clip of it?  Hmmmm?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#30 2009-08-17 13:11:13

Benjamin
Website

Gishin,

Daibosatsu toge, was that made in 1961?  Sword of Doom is a favorite, start bouncing off the walls whenever Ryunosuke starts talking about shakuhachi.  Is there a copy that can be found of the complete version of Daibosatsu toge?  My brother and I did research way back when we first saw it and knew that it was just the first chapter so to speak.  Have been itching to finish the story,  I should probably just read the novel.

Update: can be found on Yesasia.com  But expect to pay up to around 50 dollars.  The region encoding could be a problem to, easy enough to strip the data though a burn a new copy.

Ben

Last edited by Benjamin (2009-08-17 13:19:31)

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#31 2009-08-17 21:45:15

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Benjamin wrote:

Gishin,

Daibosatsu toge, was that made in 1961?  Sword of Doom is a favorite, start bouncing off the walls whenever Ryunosuke starts talking about shakuhachi.  Is there a copy that can be found of the complete version of Daibosatsu toge?  My brother and I did research way back when we first saw it and knew that it was just the first chapter so to speak.  Have been itching to finish the story,  I should probably just read the novel.

Update: can be found on Yesasia.com  But expect to pay up to around 50 dollars.  The region encoding could be a problem to, easy enough to strip the data though a burn a new copy.

Ben

I could not tell you the year for sure I will have to dig it out and slap it in the DVD player to be sure. But for sure it is a early 60's one not further than 65. Also as other noted they felt some cheesiness in there. This is mostly due to the over amplification of the way they speak move etc. I feel that since Raizo was Kabuki trained Daihei wanted to give a Kabukesque feel. Anyway lots of Daihei stuff of those years have that feel in comparison to Toho that was trying to make more realistic and less Kabuki style jidai geki.

Asa far as the novel goes I have yet to see any version than the original Japanese one. You can still find the bootleg copy at this url http://app.vendio.com/storefront?mode=1 … 6972269876

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#32 2009-08-17 22:38:28

Benjamin
Website

Ohhhhh Gishin..... I think you have just unlocked the gates to jidai geki Nirvana for me.  This must be what Chambara enlightenment feels like smile

#33 2009-08-18 09:02:49

lowonthetotem
Website

Can you provide an audio clip of it?  Hmmmm?

I am not sure how to find something like that, since I don't know the name of it or anything.  It is a pretty popular movie, so I thought someone might be familiar.  It is the film that the Magnificent Seven was based on.

#34 2009-08-18 13:23:04

edosan
Edomologist

Benjamin wrote:

Ohhhhh Gishin..... I think you have just unlocked the gates to jidai geki Nirvana for me.  This must be what Chambara enlightenment feels like smile

If you still have the movie around, on DVD or on your HDD, you can record the segment off of it while it plays, I'd 'spect.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#35 2009-08-18 18:20:11

Benjamin
Website

I think this is the song you are referring to. second from the bottom, #38 "Rice planting song" Sorry that the preview is only 8 seconds long.

http://www.ekd.com/soundtrack/882

#36 2009-08-19 08:56:00

lowonthetotem
Website

Thanks

#37 2009-09-28 16:55:50

Elliot K
Website

Another unexpected shakuhachi sighting:
Just saw Hiroshi Shimizu's The Masseurs and a Woman (Anma to onna 1938 - part of the Criterion Shimizu box). Not a bad film; much like his others: pretty light-weight, minor personal misunderstandings, a touch of romance, much humor. About 35 minutes into it one of a group of students (he's appropriately named Fuku) pulls out a shakuhachi and starts practicing. His friends complain that all he does is play the same song over and over (I don't recognize the tune). He continues, undaunted and, yes, he was pretty...unskilled... I felt his pain.

#38 2011-01-31 12:23:33

J Ross
Website

mrwuwu wrote:

For the movie buffs,   a very nicely filmed scene of a komuso walking on temple grounds?  with bell in left hand and playing shakuhachi in the right.  In beautiful white full dress regalia.    Also in  a second scene as background .   This is one of my all time favorite films, The Yakuza, by Sydney Pollack starring Robert Mitchum and Takakura Ken.  Very dated now,   but my tenth viewing.    Also , in the Japanese cop and gang film, Dead or Alive, 1999,   surprisingly there is a scene where the detective wants a private talk with his superior, and the commander, just off the crime scene, pulls out a briefcase with many two piece shakuhachi,  and starts undercutting the holes!   Bravo! to the screenwriter!!!!

I finally have watched "The Yakuza" and loved the Komuso scene.This is a decent film actually and being a fan of both Mitchum and Richard Jordan,I will come back to it every now and then.

Jim

Board footer