Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#276 2011-02-07 13:07:27

Alan Adler

Re: Do materials used affect sound?

One could analyze the Cowboys Stadium as a huge Helmholtz resonator.  The resonant frequency would surely be below the audio range.  So you wouldn't hear it.

It's tricky writing a post that isn't hacked into Packer frenzy.

Alan

#277 2011-02-07 14:09:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

No-sword wrote:

This is not a scientific hypothesis but I am not sure that a flute made out of Superbowl champions would sound that great.

Tibetan Buddhists make flutes out of human bones, why shouldn't we?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#278 2011-02-07 16:28:34

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

I'd like to have some of my bones sent to Ken to use as utaguchi and maybe other shakuhachi parts or inlay.

After I'm dead of course.

You might be able to get a good root bell out of a thigh socket, like that graft on your 2.0, Brian.

What would be the right processing for this?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#279 2011-02-07 16:49:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

I'd like to have some of my bones sent to Ken to use as utaguchi and maybe other shakuhachi parts or inlay.

Before I'm dead of course, because I want to play the flute.

You might be able to get a good root bell out of a thigh socket, like that graft on your 2.0, Brian.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/flaying-of-the-corrupt-judge-sisamnes-1167-mid.jpg

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#280 2011-02-07 19:37:39

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Alan Adler wrote:

One could analyze the Cowboys Stadium as a huge Helmholtz resonator.  The resonant frequency would surely be below the audio range.  So you wouldn't hear it.

It's tricky writing a post that isn't hacked into Packer frenzy.

Alan

As we know, the frequency of a Helmholtz resonator is dependent on the relationship between the size of the empty chamber, the length of the port and its exit diameter. Assuming football fans have a fixed throat length, they have to open their mouths wide to counteract the effect of the large cavity between their ears wink

Last edited by Toby (2011-02-08 06:13:40)

#281 2011-02-07 19:59:27

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

Before I'm dead of course, because I want to play the flute.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 … 67-mid.jpg

Brian, that was St. Bartholomew and he was quite _alive_ while they were flaying him.  (Probably could have got a couple of good bodhrán and shamisen heads out of that hide, btw.)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#282 2011-02-09 00:41:49

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

An interesting quote I ran across from an article about biases:

“If a group circles around sacred values, they will evolve into a tribal-moral community,” he said. “They’ll embrace science whenever it supports their sacred values, but they’ll ditch it or distort it as soon as it threatens a sacred value.”

#283 2011-02-09 07:52:46

radi0gnome
Website

Toby wrote:

An interesting quote I ran across from an article about biases:

“If a group circles around sacred values, they will evolve into a tribal-moral community,” he said. “They’ll embrace science whenever it supports their sacred values, but they’ll ditch it or distort it as soon as it threatens a sacred value.”

It sounds like one of those anti-evolution statements creationists make, they love to point out how Darwinists around 100 years ago liked to skip over finds that didn't quite fit the theory. They make a good point, if there have been any scientific theories that have taken wrong turns, Darwin's is an excellent example. Misinterpretations of Darwin's theories have caused all kinds of racism in the past, many of the wrong conclusions were reached very logically too.

Who was the "he" who said this?

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#284 2011-02-09 08:03:56

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

It's about psychologists being biased towards liberalism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/science/08tier.html

#285 2011-02-09 11:16:27

Rick Riekert

Toby wrote:

This quote might make better sense if “beliefs” was substituted for “values” since the findings of science neither support nor  undermine values, sacred or otherwise. Science is not a normative enterprise. It’s concern is with the “is” and not with the “ought” of things. A belief may be extremely valuable in the eyes of the person who holds it, even to the extent that he will murder others who disagree, but it is not itself a value. In my opinion, those who consider their beliefs sacred are not influenced by the method or findings of science, simply because science and particularly the temper of mind suitable to its pursuit has played no part in the formation of those beliefs.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

Board footer