Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-05 13:34:35

steven weiss

greetings and blessings from snowy new york city

bowing deeply to you all, i am steven weiss... an embryo to the world of shakuhachi.  i play many different instruments, and have performed professionally... and have about 10 years playing the native american flute.  however recently, i was overtaken by the desire to be able to play the shakuhachi.  i have bought a 1.8 D madake student shakuhachi (resisting the temptation to buy other more expensive, exquisite pieces... i need to stay in beginner's mind), and am beginning my search for a teacher, which i hope should not prove too difficult living in new york city most of the time.   studying in person especially since i can barely make a sound seems highly preferable to finding an internet teacher, yes?  i will post elsewhere to see if anyone can recommend someone in new york.  i am humbled by the simplicity and incredible complexity of the shakuhachi... after a life of music i can barely make any sound at all, and have to keep from hyperventilating at this point in my Journey
blessings,

#2 2011-02-08 10:55:37

Josh
PhD
Website

Re: greetings and blessings from snowy new york city

Hi there from the other side of the snowy state!
You guys in NYC might be getting hit harder this year than us over in the Buffalo area. Good luck with your lessons. There seems to be a great shakuhachi community in the NYC area.

#3 2011-02-08 11:50:03

Jam

Welcome to the forum. The hyperventilating will pass smile

#4 2011-02-16 20:55:07

Jazorf

Have you contacted Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin? He's wonderful teacher and has one of the biggest dojos in operation. http://www.nyogetsu.com/
Good luck.

#5 2011-02-17 19:19:08

steven weiss

thanks to you all for your kind replies.  i am in contact with Nyogetsu Ronnie Seldin.  he has been recommended by several people.  he seems like a very kind and generous man, teaches kind of close to where i work, and i will begin my lessons with him as soon as we can schedule!  i am practicing the fingerings for first four notes of the bottom octave and am actually beginning to make some consistent sounds without the impending dread of hyperventilation anymore!  very exciting.
blessings!

Board footer