Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-17 07:25:20

andy the flutemaker

Hello from england

Just a little about me. I am Andy i live in cornwal england about two years ago a non musical friend told me he wouldnt mind leaning to play a flute.That got me started.I found a site Erik the flute maker who makes side blown flutes .I got some info and started to make them myself.My friend very quickly lost interest but i was hooked.I bought a side blown oriental which is tuned the same way as a shakuhachi then started the research on shakuhachi.since then i have painfully sorced some bamboo and i have made about ten flutes two of which i believe to be good .I have not seen a shakuhachi that i have not made myself so its a bit tricky

The first shakuhachi ever made was made by a man with no teaching

#2 2011-02-17 08:05:02

Jam

Re: Hello from england

Welcome to the forum. I think Kiku mentioned in the other post that there are some good teachers down in that end of the UK. Can we see some pictures/videos of your flutes? I'd like to hear how they sound smile

#3 2011-02-17 08:20:32

andy the flutemaker

Hi Jam i will get some pictures and sound files as soon as i get my pc back its being up graded im using my wifes lap top at the moment.I will also have to learn how to do it.I cant wait to get an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about.I do believe i have a very nice wide bore

The first shakuhachi ever made was made by a man with no teaching

#4 2011-02-17 12:01:46

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Heeey... if you are in that end of the country.. really there are two excellent players/teachers to connect with down there.
I will give a paper on shakuhachi and composition at University of Falmouth 7-10 April. I will play Frank Denyer's composition for taimu (Ken LaCosses's shakuhachi) there (9th) and also at St Ives Arts Club 6 April.
Frank and I will share a concert at Sharpham 12 April as well. So lots to do down there.
I hope to see you then!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer