Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-22 08:05:30

andy the flutemaker

reducing bore width 2

HI every one just a quick update on my latest project.I have a flute i am working on which is 55 cm but originally played B i have been slowly filling the bore with resin.Ive gone a bit far it plays D sharp with a D octave.I guess i have to take some resin out but from where?.can any one help.many thanks Andy.

The first shakuhachi ever made was made by a man with no teaching

#2 2011-02-24 05:55:14

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Re: reducing bore width 2

Andy, this is a very complex issue. The bore has to be correctly proportioned to get true octaves for every note. This is why people generally follow somewhat standardized bore profiles that are known. You can also use Rayleigh perturbation theory and W curves to work out what effect widening or narrowing the bore at any point will have on any given note, but that is much too complex to get into here. Generally speaking, for a shakuhachi the bore should be cylindrical for the first ten cm or so, and then narrow gradually and linearly (like a recorder--an inverse straight-sided cone) until just under the last hole, and then open out again. There was a curve published in a recent thread by someone.

Board footer