Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-28 14:37:29

sciotofloods

"Bambusa vulgaris" Can it work for shakuhachi?

I'm currently living in Tanzania, and Bambusa vulgaris is growing almost everywhere.  I see many plants that (from the outside, at least) seem to have a good diameter, length, shape and node spacing to make a shakuhachi.
But, I know nothing about the quality of this bamboo, it's hardness, how it ages, it's thickness, etc.
Has anyone ever made a shakuhachi from this species?  How did it turn out?  Anything special required in working with this species?

#2 2011-02-28 18:59:56

Itamar Foguel
Website

Re: "Bambusa vulgaris" Can it work for shakuhachi?

Hi sciotofloods,
From my own limited experince, i did use a striped type of bamboo to make some fine shakuhachi, but i think it was a variation of Madake rather then Bambusa vulgaris.

The main question is what is its internal diameter? Here in Israel many people have the "Australian" bamboo, it looks nice but totally unusable for shakuhachi making since its growing very distorted and has leafs coming out almost from the bottom, and most important it has almost none inside space and its shape is nothing but a circle.

(So far i found only one guy that brought his bamboo from a plant nursery in France that got something usable and i harvest only what he allows me once or twice a year)

So check if you have enough space with no branches or leafs or sprouts coming out (can cause iregulations in the bore and also cracks)
and cut a few and look how much space you got inside.

good luck!

Itamar

#3 2011-02-28 21:24:17

Karmajampa
Website

I don't know the bamboo you mention, but why not give it a try if it is something you have ready access to.
Ideally you would select a culm that is straight from just above the ground, has no leaf/branch protrusions and sulcus groove within the flute length, has an internal diameter of around 20mm and develops an internal thickening of woody material towards the root.
Culms are best dug up at the end of the growing year, that is the end of Winter for me, and that they are at least three years old. This is not so obvious to determine, but if there is still a leaf wrapping the base of the culm it is still in its first year, don't bother with that one yet, the walls are still too thin and no root-end taper has developed.
Different species will show different features that indicate their age.
If you can find one with a leaf wrapping at its base, check out other features of that young culm and look at other culms to note how they are differing that may help show its age.
Older culms will possibly have a lot of root material coming off the two nodes that are just above ground level.

Anyway, I suggest you dig up a few likely looking culms and cure/dry them, leave the leaves on as they will continue to draw moisture up the culm, even puut the roots in a stream for a couple of weeks if you have one available.
Then you will have to wait several months for the wood to dry sufficiently to sand and file. If it is still wet it clogs and does not give satisfactory results, but enter the learning exploration curve, it is rewarding and will add to your blowing.

Kel.

Last edited by Karmajampa (2011-02-28 21:39:40)

Kia Kaha !

#4 2011-03-01 08:55:38

sciotofloods

Itamar, Karmajapa, thanks for your response.
Yes, I guess the best way to find out is just to dig one up and give it a try. 
Most of the bamboo I see growing here is quite mature.  The trees are 10-15 feet tall, with no leaves near the ground and some roots visible just above the soil.
I will try digging up a few and see what happens.

#5 2011-03-01 09:23:59

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

sciotofloods wrote:

I'm currently living in Tanzania, and Bambusa vulgaris is growing almost everywhere.  I see many plants that (from the outside, at least) seem to have a good diameter, length, shape and node spacing to make a shakuhachi.
But, I know nothing about the quality of this bamboo, it's hardness, how it ages, it's thickness, etc.
Has anyone ever made a shakuhachi from this species?  How did it turn out?  Anything special required in working with this species?

Hi sciotofloods, you can make a shakuhachi out of any bamboo, or man made pipe.  Nothing is guaranteed regardless of species of bamboo of material. A good instrument is the result of experienced crafting. But one things is for sure, making a shakuhachi is as fun as playing one!

Good luck and let us know what happens.
- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer