Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-03-03 14:34:37

radi0gnome
Website

Recent problems with YouTube

Last night when I tried to play a youtube video someone on this forum provided a link to, all I got was a blank screen and sound. After a little investigation I found that all the youtube videos had this problem on my computer. Further investigation via google shows that people have been running into this problem a lot since Feb. 10.

The problem apparently has to do with some incompatibility between the youtube site and latest Adobe Flash player... but only when the Adobe Flash Player hardware acceleration is enabled.

The easiest workaround to the problem is to un-enable Flash Player's use of hardware acceleration. This is normally real easy to do, just right-click the video, click on "Settings..." and uncheck the box for "enable hardware acceleration". However, since if you are encountering this problem you are not seeing any video, the "Settings..." option will be greyed out and clicking it won't work. So, what you can do is go to a web-page with an embedded Youtube (I used my own myspace page), right-click on a Youtube video there and the "Settings..." option should be clickable. Click it and then find the "enable hardware acceleration" box and uncheck it.

There are other workarounds, most involve rolling back to an earlier version of Flash Player, but the one I mentioned above looks like the easiest. Just remember to check it in the future and re-enable it when Adobe and Youtube get their interfaces straightened out.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2011-03-03 17:11:08

David Earl

Re: Recent problems with YouTube

Thanks so much for this. I was having the same problem and it's fixed now. This information was very kind of you to share.

Last edited by David Earl (2011-03-03 17:11:23)

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

Board footer